Can we Tell if the Juice is Fresh-Squeezed

  • Thread starter Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Messages
7,908
Reaction score
13,226
Hi All,
Just wanted to know if there is an effective way of deciding if a juice is fresh-squeezed or not.
I just plopped $3.50 for orange juice that was(allegedly) fresh-squeezed. Now I have had,
even recently, plenty of fresh-squeezed juice, which I love. But this juice tasted differently,
with a bitter after-taste. Now, the oranges used in this last juice may be different from the ones
used to make the fresh juice I usually have, or there may be some other factors affecting the flavor
of the juice. Is there something found in fresh-squeezed juice not found in your generic supermarket
Tropicana juice (or the other way around)? Maybe some enzymes that may die during transportation?
Thanks.
 
Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Commercial orange juice is pasteurized. It may be blended. It may have additives. It may be old.

ATM I am on holiday from snow in Floral City, Florida, just around the corner from Ferris Groves' outlet, and I have Juice-O-Mat'ed eight ounces of fresh orange juice every day for about $3 per day.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2010-10-17/business/bs-bz-juice-labels-consuming-interest20101017_1_orange-juice-ethyl-butyrate-flavor
 
WWGD said:
Hi All,
Just wanted to know if there is an effective way of deciding if a juice is fresh-squeezed or not.
Yeah. Ask to see the orange the juice was squeezed from. :wink:
 
Well, until I am at a significantly-higher income bracket,I cannot afford $3.50 for a glass of Tropicana juice. Even if I was richer, I don't want to be stupid-enough to pay that much for 1/10 of a carton that costs around $4.