Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can we Tell if the Juice is Fresh-Squeezed

1. Mar 30, 2015 #1

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi All,
    Just wanted to know if there is an effective way of deciding if a juice is fresh-squeezed or not.
    I just plopped $3.50 for orange juice that was(allegedly) fresh-squeezed. Now I have had,
    even recently, plenty of fresh-squeezed juice, which I love. But this juice tasted differently,
    with a bitter after-taste. Now, the oranges used in this last juice may be different from the ones
    used to make the fresh juice I usually have, or there may be some other factors affecting the flavor
    of the juice. Is there something found in fresh-squeezed juice not found in your generic supermarket
    Tropicana juice (or the other way around)? Maybe some enzymes that may die during transportation?
    Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2015 #2

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

4. Mar 30, 2015 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah. Ask to see the orange the juice was squeezed from. :wink:

5. Mar 30, 2015 #4

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, until I am at a significantly-higher income bracket,I cannot afford $3.50 for a glass of Tropicana juice. Even if I was richer, I don't want to be stupid-enough to pay that much for 1/10 of a carton that costs around $4.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook