Can we Tell if the Juice is Fresh-Squeezed

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about determining if a juice is truly fresh-squeezed or not, with the person mentioning that they recently paid $3.50 for allegedly fresh-squeezed juice that tasted differently. The conversation also discusses the differences between commercially produced orange juice and fresh-squeezed juice, and suggests asking to see the actual orange the juice was squeezed from as a way to ensure its freshness.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
Just wanted to know if there is an effective way of deciding if a juice is fresh-squeezed or not.
I just plopped $3.50 for orange juice that was(allegedly) fresh-squeezed. Now I have had,
even recently, plenty of fresh-squeezed juice, which I love. But this juice tasted differently,
with a bitter after-taste. Now, the oranges used in this last juice may be different from the ones
used to make the fresh juice I usually have, or there may be some other factors affecting the flavor
of the juice. Is there something found in fresh-squeezed juice not found in your generic supermarket
Tropicana juice (or the other way around)? Maybe some enzymes that may die during transportation?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Commercial orange juice is pasteurized. It may be blended. It may have additives. It may be old.

ATM I am on holiday from snow in Floral City, Florida, just around the corner from Ferris Groves' outlet, and I have Juice-O-Mat'ed eight ounces of fresh orange juice every day for about $3 per day.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2010-10-17/business/bs-bz-juice-labels-consuming-interest20101017_1_orange-juice-ethyl-butyrate-flavor

WWGD said:
Hi All,
Just wanted to know if there is an effective way of deciding if a juice is fresh-squeezed or not.
Yeah. Ask to see the orange the juice was squeezed from. :wink:

Well, until I am at a significantly-higher income bracket,I cannot afford $3.50 for a glass of Tropicana juice. Even if I was richer, I don't want to be stupid-enough to pay that much for 1/10 of a carton that costs around $4.

1. How can we tell if the juice is fresh-squeezed?

The best way to determine if juice is fresh-squeezed is to look at the ingredients list. Fresh-squeezed juice should only have one ingredient: the fruit it was squeezed from. If there are any other additives or preservatives, it is likely not fresh-squeezed.

2. Is there a difference in taste between fresh-squeezed juice and store-bought juice?

Yes, there is a noticeable difference in taste between fresh-squeezed juice and store-bought juice. Fresh-squeezed juice will have a more vibrant and natural taste, while store-bought juice may have a more processed or artificial taste.

3. How long does fresh-squeezed juice last?

Fresh-squeezed juice should be consumed within 24-48 hours for optimal freshness. After this time, the juice may start to lose its nutrients and natural flavor.

4. Can I make fresh-squeezed juice at home?

Yes, you can make fresh-squeezed juice at home with a juicer or citrus press. This allows you to control the ingredients and ensure that the juice is truly fresh-squeezed.

5. Is fresh-squeezed juice healthier than bottled juice?

In most cases, yes, fresh-squeezed juice is healthier than bottled juice. Fresh-squeezed juice contains more nutrients and enzymes, as well as less added sugar and preservatives. However, it is important to note that not all bottled juices are unhealthy, and it ultimately depends on the specific brand and ingredients used.