Can We Truly Read 25,000 Words Per Minute with Photo Reading?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ujjwal3097
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
ujjwal3097
Messages
57
Reaction score
4
I recently came across an article describing a technique know as photo reading .I was wondering if it is really possible to read 25000 words per minute .Is it real or just hoax .
 
Physics news on Phys.org
In immortal words of Woody Allen: "I took a speed-reading course and read War and Peace in twenty minutes. It involves Russia."
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Vanadium 50
ujjwal3097 said:
I recently came across an article describing a technique know as photo reading .I was wondering if it is really possible to read 25000 words per minute .Is it real or just hoax .
Yes I can. But don't ask me what I just read means after that.
 
There have been experiments done that fed gibberish to speed readers and they read it as though it meant something. There ARE people who either have a natural ability or have trained themselves to read much faster than average (WITH full retention) but 25,000 words per minute is just ludicrous.
 
ujjwal3097 said:
I recently came across an article describing a technique know as photo reading .I was wondering if it is really possible to read 25000 words per minute .Is it real or just hoax .
Assuming that the page is single-spaced, in Arial 12 point font, there are about 450 words on a page. That works out to about 56 pages.

Does it seem reasonable to be able to read 56 pages in one minute?
Like @Borek said about Woody Allen's quote on speed-reading "War and Peace" - "It's about Russia."

I'm surprised that Allen got that much out of the book.
 
I don't know, this is clearly done at a subconscious level. I have heard of legal assistants at major law firms who can (allegedly) do that, or something close.