Can we use conservation of energy law to find final velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a ball being kicked with an initial velocity and angle, and the question of when it will land on the ground. The use of conservation of mechanical energy and the impact of the ball's maximum height are also discussed. The conversation concludes with different methods for solving the problem being mentioned.
justduy

Homework Statement

It's a simple problem, you kick a ball with an initial velocity of 5.4 m/s, the angle is 30 degrees. So the question is when does it land on the ground?

So I thought that I could find final velocity so that I can use V = V(initial) + acceleration * time. My question is, can you use the law of conservation of mechanical energy (Energy Total (i) = Energy Total (ii)) to find final velocity? Then final velocity would be the same as initial velocity? Since the potential energy in both positions would be 0 due to 0 height?

As I am writing this I realized that if I used the position of max height instead of initial position, I would get a different answer? Why?EDIT: The maximum height is 0.375m

Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot about the kinetic energy at the max height?

I would actually imagine this is just a kinematics question - if you're only dealing with when it lands on the ground, it's easy to calculate the velocity up. And since you know initial velocity in the relevant direction, acceleration due to gravity, and final displacement (0), it should be fairly easy to calculate the time taken.

Velocity is a vector whereas kinetic and potential energies are scalars. So what conservation of energy can give you is speed (also a scalar). So yes, thanks to conservation of energy you can state that the initial speed of the ball is the same as its speed upon landing.

However, you can also break down the motion of the ball into separate horizontal and vertical components. It so happens that energy is conserved in those separate motions, too. So if you know the vertical component of the velocity at launch, then the vertical component of the velocity upon landing will have the same magnitude (but not the same sign!).

You should be able to write the kinematic equation for the final value of the vertical velocity component given the initial velocity component and solve for the time.

justduy said:

Homework Statement

It's a simple problem, you kick a ball with an initial velocity of 5.4 m/s, the angle is 30 degrees. So the question is when does it land on the ground?

So I thought that I could find final velocity so that I can use V = V(initial) + acceleration * time. My question is, can you use the law of conservation of mechanical energy (Energy Total (i) = Energy Total (ii)) to find final velocity? Then final velocity would be the same as initial velocity? Since the potential energy in both positions would be 0 due to 0 height?

As I am writing this I realized that if I used the position of max height instead of initial position, I would get a different answer? Why?EDIT: The maximum height is 0.375m
I personally would treat it like a projectile motion problem.

One way of treating a projectile motion problem is via conservation of energy.

Simon Bridge said:
One way of treating a projectile motion problem is via conservation of energy.
I should have been more specific. I personally like to solve problems like this with a little vector algebra and kinematics equations but it is up to him/her which method he/she chooses.

1. How does the law of conservation of energy apply to finding final velocity?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system will remain constant. In the context of finding final velocity, this law can be applied by equating the initial kinetic energy of an object to the final kinetic energy, taking into account any changes in potential energy.

2. Can the law of conservation of energy be used for all types of systems?

Yes, the law of conservation of energy applies to all types of isolated systems, regardless of the type of energy involved. This includes mechanical, thermal, chemical, and nuclear energy, among others.

3. Is conservation of energy the only law needed to find final velocity?

No, in order to find the final velocity of an object, other laws such as Newton's laws of motion and the laws of thermodynamics may also need to be taken into consideration. These additional laws can provide important information about the forces acting on the object and any energy transfers or transformations that may occur.

4. Can the law of conservation of energy be used for both linear and rotational motion?

Yes, the law of conservation of energy can be applied to both linear and rotational motion. For example, in the case of a rolling object, the initial kinetic energy may be a combination of both linear and rotational kinetic energy, and this total energy will remain constant as the object moves and its motion changes.

5. Are there any limitations to using the law of conservation of energy to find final velocity?

While the law of conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics, there are some limitations to its application. For example, it assumes that the system is closed and there are no external forces acting on the object. In real-world situations, there may be external factors such as friction or air resistance that can affect the final velocity of an object, and these must be taken into account in order to obtain an accurate result.