Can we use paramagnetism to create a magnetic field on Mars?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
Paper
Messages
14
Reaction score
1
Well I must admit, when it comes to magnets I haven't a clue. I know that Mars has no magnetosphere and it's why it has such a thin atmosphere. The Earth's magnetosphere, if I understand right, is not very strong, but the Earth is a rather large magnet, so it's affect on solar wind extends far out into space.

The surface of Mars is abundant with Iron (III) Oxide, which exhibits paramagnetism (atoms align in an externally applied magnetic field, amplifying the overall strength of the magnetic field). Could we not strategically place very strong magnets over the surface of Mars and take advantage of paramagnetic effects to give Mars and magnetosphere?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
And where are you going to get the trillions of strong magnets you need?
 
That's just silly. All you really need to do is re-melt Mars' core! The circulating ferromagnetic fluid will eventually create the field for you.