Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you be a good engineer and at the same time abe a human?

1. Jun 16, 2010 #1
    I wana become good at math and physics, and become a mechanical engineer. I will like to make contributions to society. But can you be good at this withouth loosing a balanced social life, having a girlfirend and friends and make some exercise xD.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2010 #2
    Most of engineers I work with are married to a human so I believe they do socialize. They have children too :biggrin:

4. Jun 17, 2010 #3
    Absolutely not, everyone knows the best engineers are Vulcans.

5. Jun 17, 2010 #4
    Hope so

6. Jun 17, 2010 #5

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Did you mean "be a human" or "ape a human"? :biggrin:

7. Jun 17, 2010 #6
    An engineer that wants a social life isn't a true engineer...

8. Jun 17, 2010 #7
    HHAHAHA good observation. I just will to know to know if you can do your passion without becoming social incapacitated.

9. Jun 17, 2010 #8
    Hu???

10. Jun 17, 2010 #9
    I don't know...engineers seem fairly normal. It's the physicists who are weird people. But even we have social lives. In fact, physicists in general seem to be fairly knowledgable on a diverse range of topics. I don't think that being eclectic is the same as being weird.

11. Jun 17, 2010 #10
    mates once every seven years? seems a bit optimistic.

12. Jun 18, 2010 #11
    Join a few of the mainstream clubs (not so much an anime club or D&D club (not to poke fun)) or some of the larger engineering clubs. You'll get plenty of social experience. I know engineers from both extremes of the spectrum, if you want to avoid becoming non-human interact with other humans.

13. Jun 18, 2010 #12
    maybe physicists are more weird, but i seem to get along fine in my physics classes. it's the engineers who i think are the real awkward ones. they refuse to talk. TALK!

14. Jun 18, 2010 #13
    In my last physics class we had one aspiring physicist. 1 physicist to sixty undergrads of other disciplines.

15. Jun 19, 2010 #14
    Well getting girls as an engineer or attractivness of an engineer? xD

16. Jun 19, 2010 #15
    Maybe it is you who is weird and thus gets along better with the weird physicists rather than the engineers??

17. Jun 20, 2010 #16
    Dude how much is the work/study hours a day to be a good engineer? i mean you have to be refreshing the memory and learning more.

18. Jun 20, 2010 #17

There's nothing wrong with that. Weird physicists are generally extremely interesting people.

19. Jun 20, 2010 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, if someone were to ask me to suggest a career or field of study where you can use math and science but still have a life, I think engineering would be high on the list.

Like everything, it also depends on where specifically you work and your own approach to the work/social life balance, pace of career advancement or salary increases, etc., but I think engineering has a lot of opportunities where you can do both and do both well.

I've met many engineers, and they all seem pretty social and normal (keep in mind that I'm a scientist type too, so my perception of normal might be skewed a bit), and of course I might only meet the social ones...selection bias.

20. Jun 20, 2010 #19
    While I'm not an engineer, my roommate is. He only does a couple hours a week of actual studying, studying as in reading or reviewing notes for classes. However, that's mostly because in practical (real) majors like engineering and physics, study time is mostly the same as homework time.
    I will also say that for engineering, "study time" doesn't have to be actual studying. Hands on experiences in many college activities provides engineering experience and gives you an opportunity to learn useful things outside of a classroom. For example, engineers at the University of Oklahoma compete in several things. One team builds an off-road vehicle and goes to national competition (http://students.sae.org/competitions/bajasae/about.htm). There are lots of other competitions as well- Design-Build-Fly is another awesome one.

In short, don't let "hours spent studying" be a deciding factor in picking a major.

21. Jun 21, 2010 #20
    I didn't think about it that way, but you are right on there. The opinion here may be a little skewed because many of us here are either scientists or engineers and we may be a little biased. I think I prefer the science human beings to the non-science human beings. I prefer the monkeys who don't throw poo as often.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook