Can You Calculate the Splash Radius of a Rock Dropped from a Bridge?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
Entr0py
Messages
102
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


I was wondering that, if you are standing above a bridge with a height h and throw a rock in your hand with mass m and initial velocity v naught of 0, could you calculate how big of a splash said rock makes when it hits the water?

Homework Equations



Not sure, I'm guessing kinematics equations

The Attempt at a Solution


Well maybe I could plug in values for mass, initial velocity, final velocity, acceleration. But I don't know if it's possible to find how big (what is the radius) of the splash the rock creates.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Of course, and thanks for pointing that out. Let's say the rock is a perfect sphere and what do you mean by its size? Its mass, length, volume?
 
Entr0py said:
Of course, and thanks for pointing that out. Let's say the rock is a perfect sphere and what do you mean by its size? Its mass, length, volume?

By "size" I mean how big it is.