1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Depth of a Water Well by dropping a rock

1. Feb 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A man drops a rock into a well. He hears the sound of the splash 3.2 seconds after he releases the rock from rest. The speed of sound in air (at the local ambient condition) is 338 m/s

(a) How far below the top of the well is the surface of the water? (round your answer to a whole number)

(b) If you ignored the travel time for the sound, what would have been the calculated depth? (round your answer to a whole number)

time of rock + time of sound = 3.2s
    acceleration = -9.8 m/s^2
    V_i = 0 m/s
    V_sound = 338 m/s

2. Relevant equations

x=x_0 + v_0*t + (1/2)at^2

3. The attempt at a solution

x = 0 + 0 + (1/2)(-9.8)(3.2)^2

However, I realized, this is incorrect because I also need to account the time the sound took to travel to the person's ear subtracted by the 3.2 seconds. My problem is, how do I find the time it took to reach the person's ear when the rock hit the surface of the water?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2014 #2
    Obviously, the rock takes time ##t_1## to hit the water, and the sound takes time ##t_2## to reach you. As you wrote, ##t_1 + t_2 = t = 3.2 \ \text{s}##.

4. Feb 5, 2014 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You want to find the depth of the well, d. So, try to derive an equation that relates t and d.

For example, if d = 10m, it would be quite easy to work out t. So, try to use this approach to relate d and t generally.

5. Feb 5, 2014 #4
    Hi
    There r also some different issues like drag force of water on shape of rock so how this is possible

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted