Can You Change a 10-Pin Transformer to an 8-Pin One Without Affecting Quality?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
36 replies · 5K views
Are those UL Recognized Components or UL Listed Products? I'm guessing they are Recognized Components, since they do not have the AC Mains connections yet (with switch & fuse & grounding, etc.)?

UL Recognized Components:
http://www.ul.com/global/documents/offerings/perspectives/regulators/technical/ul_RecognizedComponentMarks.pdf

UL Listed Products:
http://www.ul.com/global/eng/pages/offerings/perspectives/newtoul/ulmarkproductcertification/

What do the UL labels look like on those power supplies? I've used them in products before, but don't remember what the labels looked like...
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
berkeman said:
Are those UL Recognized Components or UL Listed Products? I'm guessing they are Recognized Components, since they do not have the AC Mains connections yet (with switch & fuse & grounding, etc.)?

UL Recognized Components:
http://www.ul.com/global/documents/offerings/perspectives/regulators/technical/ul_RecognizedComponentMarks.pdf

UL Listed Products:
http://www.ul.com/global/eng/pages/offerings/perspectives/newtoul/ulmarkproductcertification/

What do the UL labels look like on those power supplies? I've used them in products before, but don't remember what the labels looked like...

I just found an image that looked [STRIKE]like[/STRIKE] similar to the open frame supplies I used years ago. At that time, they had this label:

200px-UL_Mark.svg.png
 
Last edited:
Evidently "UL is introducing an enhanced version ..."

ul_markshub_certified_logo.png


http://www.ul.com/global/eng/pages/corporate/aboutul/ulmarks/
 
I'm guessing that the supplies you used before were the versions that included the power-entry module (IEC connector, fuse, switch). They come in both versions -- with and without power entry module -- for some of the models. When there is no power entry module (just connector lugs for the AC Mains input from a separate power entry module), they almost certainly will be UL Recognized Components, I believe, like the UR(backwards) logo on this open frame power supply:

http://store.flw.com/products/international-power-single-output-linear-power-supply-if24-12.html
 
berkeman said:
I'm guessing that the supplies you used before were the versions that included the power-entry module (IEC connector, fuse, switch).
Yes. If I remember correctly, the power-in leads were to be soldered to Line (fuse), Neutral, and Ground terminals.
 
No, I am not going to design anything. I am just looking for some parts, so I can hand them for electrical expert to check the options

it's time to show him those datasheets and let him decide whether he wants to undertake redesigning around a different core.

old jim
 
Last edited by a moderator: