Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can You Define "Term" and "Expression" in Math?

1. Oct 27, 2014 #1
    I have heard different things and want to get a "professional" opinion on this.

It seems like the words "term" and "expression" are technical terms with specific definitions in math and I want to know what they technically refer to (not just the personal slang or informal definitions someone might assign to them, but rather their formal mathematical definitions).

Thanks!!

(p.s. I know this is simple algebra stuff, but that's my level right now.)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Oct 27, 2014 #3

Mark44

Terms are expressions that are added or subtracted, such as 3xy + 2z or b2 - 4ac. In the first expression, 3xy is one term and 2z is another term. In the second expression, the terms are b2 and -4ac.

In the 3xy term, 3, x, and y are factors, which are expressions that are multiplied to make up the term.

Expressions are more loosely defined. They could be made up from any of the arithmetic operations - addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division, but can also be made up by raising an expression to some power (such as (a + b)3/2), roots (such as ##\sqrt[3]{a - 1}##), or involve trig or exponential or log functions, just to name a few.

5. Nov 20, 2014 #4
    Hi, Mark44:

Thanks for the answer. So to clarify, terms are only expressions that are ADDED or SUBTRACTED - nothing else?

What about division of expressions, such as 3x/y or perhaps a simple exponent like 4^2? These don't have addition or subtraction of the expressions. So, you're saying these wouldn't be terms, correct?

TVM!

6. Nov 20, 2014 #5

Mark44

Correct.
    If you had 3x/y + 4x2, the 3x/y and 4x2 parts might be considered terms, although "term" is probably more often used in the context of polynomials, where each term is a constant or a constant times integer powers of one or more variables, such as 3, 2x, 5xy3, and so on. As far as I know, "term" isn't rigidly defined.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook