Can you fall below the horizon on an expanding balloon?

In summary, two people of height h are initially within sight of each other and at a distance d apart on a huge balloon of radius r. As the balloon expands, they may or may not lose sight of each other depending on the initial values of h, r, and d. However, as the distance along the balloon's diagonal increases, there is a critical point where the two people will lose sight of each other. This critical point can be calculated using the formula h=f(θ)r, where θ is the half-angle between the two people and f(θ) is a function that can be determined through algebraic calculations. Ultimately, there is a relationship between h, d, and r that determines when - and if - the
DaveC426913
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Can two people lose sight of each other while standing still on an inflating balloon?
This scenario came up (as a dream) in a sci-fi novel (Robert J. Sawyer's The Terminal Man).

Two people
  • of height h,
  • initially within sight of each other,
  • at d distance apart ,
  • on a huge balloon of radius r.

As the balloon expands, they might or might not lose sight of each other over the horizon, but it seems to depend on h and initial values of r and d.

My intuition said no; they never lose sight of each other. (It could only happen in a dream where physics can be tossed aside.)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Imagine a circle inscribed in a square. As the inscribed circle and square expand the distance along the diagonal from circle to the square corner increases too.

It’s not hard to imagine that once that distance exceeds the height of both people that they lose sight of one another. Their line of sight is the side of the square and this side is tangent to the inscribed circle.

Likes mfb
DaveC426913 said:
My intuition said no
My intuition says absolutely they can lose sight of each other.

EDIT: OK, @jedishrfu beat me to it by a few seconds :smile:

jedishrfu said:
Imagine a circle inscribed in a square. As the inscribed circle and square expand the distance along the diagonal from circle to the square corner increases too.
That's brilliant visualizing!But yes, I'd forgotten to examine a sufficiently diverse range of values for d, h and r.So it's true that they'd lose sight when d is comparable to r. But it would be a different story when d is << than r.
1631236340926.png

So there is still a relationship between h, d and r that determines when - and if - it happens.

Last edited:
Likes jedishrfu
Is there a tool I can use to explore this? I suspect Wolfram Alpha can but I have never learned how to use it.

DaveC426913 said:
That's brilliant visualizing!But yes, I'd forgotten to examine a sufficiently diverse range of values for d, h and r.So it's true that they'd lose sight when d is comparable to r. But it would be a different story when d is << than r.
View attachment 288828

So there is still a relationship between h, d and r that determines when - and if - it happens.
Yes, there is a relationship. One can work it out with pencil, paper and algebra.

In the above picture you are using ##d## as the linear distance from head to head. We can use this to compute ##\theta##. For convenience, we will make ##\theta## the half-angle between the two people. Naturally, this angle will be preserved as the balloon inflates or deflates.$$\theta=\sin^{-1}\frac{d}{2(r_0+h)}$$The critical point for line of sight is when $$(r+h)\cos \theta = r$$We want to solve for the radius at which this occurs for a given ##h## and ##\theta##. So we subtract ##r \cos \theta## from both sides, yielding:$$h \cos \theta = r(1-\cos \theta)$$Now we can divide both sides by ##1-\cos \theta## yielding:$$h\frac{\cos \theta}{1-\cos \theta} = r$$

If the two guys start out directly opposite from one another then they can never establish a line of sight. The cosine of the half angle is exactly one and the formula fails on a divide by zero. Otherwise, there is always a value of r low enough to establish line of sight or high enough to break it.

• Informative
Likes mfb and DaveC426913
jbriggs444 said:
If the two guys start out directly opposite from one another then they can never establish a line of sight. The cosine of the half angle is exactly one and the formula fails on a divide by zero. Otherwise, there is always a value of r low enough to establish line of sight or high enough to break it.
Cool. This was what I was groping for.

I was thinking of drawing a graph with d as one axis, and r as the other, where they are ratios of the unit h.

You can show that it depends on the radius purely from dimensional analysis. For any given separation angle and radius there is a minimal height to see each other. That minimal height has to be proportional to the radius, the only length scale in the system. This means h=f(θ)r for the boundary, or r<h/f(θ) for visibility. The explicit calculation then produces the angular dependence f(θ).

Likes jbriggs444

1. Can you fall off the balloon if it expands too much?

No, you cannot fall off the balloon as it expands. The balloon is expanding into space, not towards the ground, so there is no risk of falling off.

2. Will the balloon eventually reach the horizon?

No, the balloon will not reach the horizon. The horizon is the point where the curvature of the Earth becomes visible, and the balloon is expanding into the infinite expanse of space, so it will never reach the horizon.

3. Is it safe to ride on an expanding balloon?

It is generally safe to ride on an expanding balloon, as long as proper safety precautions are taken. The balloon will expand slowly and gradually, so there is no risk of sudden changes in altitude or pressure.

4. Can the balloon expand indefinitely?

No, the balloon cannot expand indefinitely. Eventually, the material of the balloon will reach its maximum stretch and will not be able to expand any further. Additionally, the laws of physics dictate that the balloon will eventually reach a point of equilibrium where the pressure inside and outside the balloon are equal.

5. What happens if the balloon bursts while expanding?

If the balloon bursts while expanding, the air inside will rapidly escape, causing the balloon to rapidly deflate. This can result in a sudden drop in altitude, which can be dangerous for those riding on the balloon. It is important to properly monitor the expansion of the balloon and take necessary safety precautions to prevent bursting.