Can You File a Tax Return for a Previous Year with an Old W-2?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 3K views
dipole
Messages
553
Reaction score
149
I have a W-2 from 2007 which I never filed for an income tax refund... is it still possible to file this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If this will decrease your tax liability (i.e. you will get a refund) it is too late. You have three years. If this will increase your tax liability, you need a tax professional pronto.
 
Even if it would reduce your tax liability, the penalty of not filing for three years may mean you owe. Either way, you're better off filing: The IRS is slow, but they'll eventually get you.
 
I agree with Russ. You can only evade the IRS for so long. Eventually they will want their money and you'll likely pay stiff interest penalties. Best to call up a CPA and find out what your options are.
 
If you live or work in a state with state tax, definitely seek advice, even if you don't owe the IRS, you may still owe state tax, and I hear the state tax auditors make the IRS look like your best friend.
 
I wouldn't owe them anything, but thanks for the advice. I was a dependent at the time, and I'm the one owed money, but I guess it's too late for that. Silly 17 year old me. :)
 
dipole said:
I wouldn't owe them anything, but thanks for the advice. I was a dependent at the time, and I'm the one owed money, but I guess it's too late for that. Silly 17 year old me. :)
If you were claimed as a dependent on your parent's return, you couldn't file separately anyway.
 
Borg said:
If you were claimed as a dependent on your parent's return, you couldn't file separately anyway.
This is not correct. He could file, he just couldn't claim himself as a dependent.
 
Jimmy Snyder said:
This is not correct. He could file, he just couldn't claim himself as a dependent.
Oops. :blushing:
 
You needn't be embarrassed, it's a common misspelling.