Can you guys check these calculations for me

• Thread starter bobsrevenge999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculations
In summary, the Barret M82 has a clip capacity of 10 rounds and the mass of a .50 cal round is 46.7 grams or .0467 kg. The average muzzle velocity of the rifle is 853 m/s and the specific heat capacity of normal human tissue is 3470 J/kg.C. The specific heat capacity of adipose tissue is 2348 J/kg.C. The weight of the blob is 976 lbs or 442.7 kg, with 75% of it being adipose tissue and the remaining 25% being normal body tissue. Using the kinetic energy formula, the energy of each round is 16.9 kJ, and with 10 rounds, the total energy is approximately
bobsrevenge999
Background Information:
Clip Capacity of a Barret M82: 10 Rounds
Mass of a .50 Cal Round: 46.7 grams = .0467 Kg
Source: small arms by martin j. dougherty
Average Muzzle Velocity of a Barret M82 .50 Cal Rifle: 853 m/s
Average Specific heat capacity of normal human tissue: 3470 J/kg.C
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/human-body-specific-heat-d_393.html
Average Specific heat capacity of Adipose tissue: 2348J/kg.C
Source: http://www.itis.ethz.ch/itis-for-health/tissue-properties/database/heat-capacity/
Weight of Blob: 976 lbs = 442.7 Kg

Assumptions: Blob is around 75% adipose tissue(by weight) the remaining being normal body tissue. This means 332 Kg is adipose tissue. 110.6 Kg is other misc. body tissue.
Important Formula:
Kinetic Energy: Pe= ½mv2

Calculations:

Ke= 1/2 (.0467 Kg)(853 m/s)2 = 16.98 Kj = 16980 J

Joules needed to Raise blob 1 Degrees Celcius:
(332 Kg * 2348 J/Kg) + (2348J/Kg * 110.6 Kg)= 779536J + 259688J= 1039224 J = 1039 Kj
How much does Blob’s Temperature increase? : 19.98/ 1039 = .016 degrees Celcius

Physics news on Phys.org
Pe= ½mv2

That should be "KE" not PE but otherwise looks ok.

I made the KE of each round..

= 0.5 * .0467 * 8532 = 16.9 kJ not 19.98 kJ

There are 10 rounds so the energy is about 170 kJ.

1. How accurate are these calculations?

The accuracy of calculations depends on several factors, such as the complexity of the problem, the precision of the data used, and the level of expertise of the person performing the calculations. It is always recommended to double-check and verify calculations to ensure the highest level of accuracy.

2. Can you check my calculations even though I'm not a scientist?

Yes, as a scientist, it is our job to help and assist with any calculations, regardless of the person's background or expertise. We are happy to provide guidance and offer our expertise to ensure accurate calculations.

3. How long will it take for you to check my calculations?

The time it takes to check calculations can vary depending on the complexity of the problem and the amount of data involved. It is important to allocate enough time for a thorough review to ensure accuracy. Generally, it is best to plan for at least a few hours for a comprehensive check.

4. Can you explain any errors or discrepancies in my calculations?

Yes, as scientists, we are trained to analyze and identify errors in calculations. We can provide a detailed explanation of any discrepancies found and offer suggestions for corrections.

5. Will you be able to suggest improvements for my calculations?

Yes, as scientists, we can provide feedback and suggest improvements for calculations. We may be able to offer alternative methods or techniques that could improve the accuracy or efficiency of the calculations.