Heat Question -- Temperature rise of a hiker on a long hike

In summary, the hiker's body will experience a temperature rise of approximately 4.066°C (or 4.066K) during a 1.6 hour long hike, assuming none of the generated heat is transferred to the environment. The average specific heat capacity of a human body is 0.83 kcal kg-1 oC-1 and 20% of the energy is used for useful work while the remaining 80% is converted to heat within the body. Therefore, the calculation for ΔT is 1135912.96J/80.4kg*3474.38= 4.066°C or 4.066K.
  • #1
Kevin Kim
3
0

Homework Statement


A 80.4 kg hiker uses 212 kcal hr-1 (3 s.f.) of energy whilst hiking. Assuming that 20% of this energy goes into useful work and the other 80% is converted to heat within the body, calculate the temperature change, in units of Kelvin (K), of the hiker's body during a 1.6 hour long hike.

Assume that none of this generated heat is transferred to the environment during the hike. The average specific heat capacity of a human body is 0.83 kcal kg-1 oC-1.

Homework Equations


Q=mcDeltaT
1 Cal= 4.186 J

The Attempt at a Solution



m=80.4kg Q= 212000cal*4.186J*1.6hours*0.8 (converted to heat within body)= 1135912.96J c= 830*4.186= 3474.38
[/B]
Q/mc= DeltaT
1135912.96J/80.4kg*3474.38= 4.066 celcius

273.15K+4.066=277.216K
277K (3sf)

Am I doing this wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2
Mr. Kim: The question is What is the temperature rise? That was your first calculation and it was correct. You should note that ΔT on the Celsius scale is the same as ΔT on the Kelvin scale..
 

Related to Heat Question -- Temperature rise of a hiker on a long hike

1. What factors contribute to the temperature rise of a hiker on a long hike?

The temperature rise of a hiker on a long hike is influenced by a combination of external and internal factors. External factors include the ambient temperature and humidity, as well as the intensity of the sunlight. Internal factors include the hiker's level of physical activity, hydration, and clothing choices.

2. How does physical activity affect the temperature rise of a hiker?

Physical activity is a major contributor to the temperature rise of a hiker on a long hike. When the body is engaged in physical activity, it generates heat as a byproduct. This heat, combined with the external factors, can cause the hiker's body temperature to rise significantly.

3. Does wearing certain clothing affect the temperature rise of a hiker?

Yes, the clothing choices of a hiker can greatly impact their temperature rise. Wearing clothing that is too thick or made of non-breathable materials can trap heat and cause the body temperature to rise. On the other hand, wearing lightweight, breathable clothing can help regulate body temperature and prevent overheating.

4. How does hydration play a role in the temperature rise of a hiker?

Proper hydration is crucial for regulating body temperature during a long hike. When the body is dehydrated, it has a harder time regulating its temperature, which can lead to overheating. It is important for hikers to drink water regularly and replenish electrolytes to maintain proper hydration levels.

5. What are some ways to prevent or manage temperature rise on a long hike?

To prevent or manage temperature rise on a long hike, it is important to dress appropriately, stay hydrated, take breaks in shaded areas, and avoid hiking during the hottest part of the day. Additionally, using cooling towels or sprays can help lower body temperature, and knowing the signs of heat exhaustion and heatstroke can help hikers take necessary precautions to prevent serious health risks.

Similar threads

  • Introductory Physics Homework Help
Replies
2
Views
816
Replies
9
Views
1K
  • Introductory Physics Homework Help
Replies
4
Views
2K
  • Advanced Physics Homework Help
Replies
12
Views
9K
Back
Top