1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you help me with Levi Civita Notation, please?

1. May 14, 2016 #1
    • OP warned about not using the homework template
    I need to prove B.(Gradient . B) - B X(Gradient X B)=Del{i} [B{i}B{j} -1/2 (kroneker delta {ij} B^2]

where I have used . as the dot product, {} as subscript. Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If I write the left hand side using proper math symbols, is
    $$
    \mathbf{B} (\nabla \cdot \mathbf{B}) - \mathbf{B} \times (\nabla \times \mathbf{B})
    $$
    correct?

4. May 14, 2016 #3
    Hi Blue_leaf77,

Yes that is correct! Thank you, Im sorry I typed it so poorly I am new to Physics forums.

5. May 14, 2016 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then the equality in the original equation does not make sense because the left side is a vector whereas the right side is a scalar.

6. May 14, 2016 #5
    The right is still a vector, I have Bolded the vector quantities B.

7. May 14, 2016 #6
    This is essentially a proof from Jackson. But I need to show it with levi Cevita notation.

8. May 14, 2016 #7

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, it's not. For instance you have ##|\mathbf{B}|^2## which is a scalar.

9. May 14, 2016 #8
    I have uploaded the page from Jackson it is equation (6.119) I am trying to prove, however I must use Levi Cevita notation.

Attached Files:

10. May 14, 2016 #9

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I see, the left side should be ##[\mathbf{B} (\nabla \cdot \mathbf{B}) - \mathbf{B} \times (\nabla \times \mathbf{B})]_i## which is the i-th component of the vector inside the square bracket and this is a scalar. Start by writing ##\nabla\cdot \mathbf{B}## using Einstein summation notation. Anyway if you have progressed up to any point, just post it here, preferably using LaTex.

11. May 16, 2016 #10

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You will need to use that the i-th component of a cross product may be written as
    ## (\vec{A} \times \vec{B})_i = \epsilon_{ijk} A_j B_k ##

and you will need to find the expression for a triple product....hint: what is the following expression equal to?
    ## \sum_i \epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{iab} = ? ##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted