Can you identify what type of organisms are living in this?

• Thread starter nineteen
  • Start date

Summary:

I saw this photo in the Chemistry sub reddit in reddit. This photo looked cool, but the caption said that these were molds. But I some comments telling that these were algae and I too think that they are more likely to be algae. But I wanna know what you guys think about this. Please comment.

Answers and Replies

pinball1970
Gold Member
Summary: I saw this photo in the Chemistry sub reddit in reddit. This photo looked cool, but the caption said that these were molds. But I some comments telling that these were algae and I too think that they are more likely to be algae. But I wanna know what you guys think about this. Please comment.

I had the same issue with a distillation unit, it could be mould/fungus as the spores are in the air if its completely sealed it could be something else.
Black is usually something like Aspergillus sp Blue/Green Penicillin sp White Mucorales but there are lots of species of fungus that produce all sorts of colours.

Likes nineteen
Looks like a plethora of different growth. The green is almost certainly an algae. The red may also be an algae. the brown towards the bottom hints at bacterial growth. Towards the top of the apparatus, it looks like mixed colonies. From a photo, of course, we can only make approximations here. Looking under a microscope may prove different; also I expect you will find a multitude of microbial diversity. Interesting photo!

Likes nineteen and pinball1970
pinball1970
Gold Member
Looks like a plethora of different growth. The green is almost certainly an algae. The red may also be an algae. the brown towards the bottom hints at bacterial growth. Towards the top of the apparatus, it looks like mixed colonies. From a photo, of course, we can only make approximations here. Looking under a microscope may prove different; also I expect you will find a multitude of microbial diversity. Interesting photo!
Yeah cultures required