Can you identify what type of organisms are living in this?

• Thread starter nineteen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Type
In summary, there was a photo in the Chemistry subreddit that sparked a debate about whether the growths shown were molds or algae. Some comments suggested they were algae, while others mentioned the possibility of bacterial growth. It was noted that there are various species of fungus and algae that can produce different colors. Further examination under a microscope is needed to determine the exact nature of the growths.
nineteen
TL;DR Summary
I saw this photo in the Chemistry sub reddit in reddit. This photo looked cool, but the caption said that these were molds. But I some comments telling that these were algae and I too think that they are more likely to be algae. But I wanna know what you guys think about this. Please comment.

Biology news on Phys.org
nineteen said:
Summary: I saw this photo in the Chemistry sub reddit in reddit. This photo looked cool, but the caption said that these were molds. But I some comments telling that these were algae and I too think that they are more likely to be algae. But I want to know what you guys think about this. Please comment.

I had the same issue with a distillation unit, it could be mould/fungus as the spores are in the air if its completely sealed it could be something else.
Black is usually something like Aspergillus sp Blue/Green Penicillin sp White Mucorales but there are lots of species of fungus that produce all sorts of colours.

Likes nineteen
Looks like a plethora of different growth. The green is almost certainly an algae. The red may also be an algae. the brown towards the bottom hints at bacterial growth. Towards the top of the apparatus, it looks like mixed colonies. From a photo, of course, we can only make approximations here. Looking under a microscope may prove different; also I expect you will find a multitude of microbial diversity. Interesting photo!

Likes nineteen and pinball1970
amaruq said:
Looks like a plethora of different growth. The green is almost certainly an algae. The red may also be an algae. the brown towards the bottom hints at bacterial growth. Towards the top of the apparatus, it looks like mixed colonies. From a photo, of course, we can only make approximations here. Looking under a microscope may prove different; also I expect you will find a multitude of microbial diversity. Interesting photo!
Yeah cultures required

1. What methods do you use to identify organisms?

As a scientist, I use a variety of methods to identify organisms. Some common techniques include observation of physical characteristics, DNA analysis, and biochemical testing.

2. How do you determine the classification of an organism?

Classification of an organism is determined based on its physical characteristics, genetic makeup, and evolutionary relationships. This information is used to place the organism into a specific taxonomic group such as kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, and species.

3. Can you identify all types of organisms?

As a scientist, I have expertise in identifying a wide range of organisms. However, there are millions of species on Earth and new species are constantly being discovered, so it is not possible for anyone to identify all types of organisms.

4. How do you differentiate between similar-looking organisms?

Differentiating between similar-looking organisms involves careful observation of their physical characteristics, genetic analysis, and understanding of their ecological niche. Scientists also use specialized tools such as microscopes to identify minute differences between organisms.

5. Is it possible to identify organisms solely based on their DNA?

Yes, it is possible to identify organisms solely based on their DNA. This method is known as DNA barcoding and it involves comparing a specific region of an organism's DNA to a database of known sequences. However, DNA barcoding may not always be accurate as some organisms may have similar DNA sequences.