Meet the xenobots - reconfigurable organisms

• Thread starter DennisN
  • Start date
In summary, the xenobot is a living, self-healing robot that was created by the University of Vermont. The xenobot is a new class of artifact, and it is not a traditional robot or a known species of animal.
DennisN
Gold Member
2023 Award
TL;DR Summary
Title of paper below: "A scalable pipeline for designing reconfigurable organisms"
Articles:
Articles said:
"These are novel living machines," says Joshua Bongard, a computer scientist and robotics expert at the University of Vermont who co-led the new research. "They're neither a traditional robot nor a known species of animal. It's a new class of artifact: a living, programmable organism."

Paper:
Sam Kriegman, Douglas Blackiston, Michael Levin, and Josh Bongard,
A scalable pipeline for designing reconfigurable organisms
(PNAS, January 13, 2020)
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2020/01/07/1910837117

Some pictures:
F3.medium.gif
Very interesting and extremely fascinating to me, and when I heard of it, I immediately thought I should post about it on PF. :smile:

• Informative
  • Wow
Likes Greg Bernhardt, pinball1970, Filip Larsen and 1 other person
Biology news on Phys.org
I am by no means a technophobe or a person who misconstrues the value of science to the future of humanity. I see this is a very troubling development. It is not clear who controls this new biotech, a proto-borg technology that mixes two already controversial technologies, bio engineering and nanotech. With the whimsical amateur CRISPR adventure Frankenstiens trying to make human-aligator hybirds (Who says they're not? Do you actually believe one of those idiots is NOT trying to create human-aligator hybrids? Really? Really?) and the obvious failure of any government on Earth to deal with the out-of-control databases of personal information, and I mean PERSONAL information being stockpiled as some sort of insurance against anti-trust actions, when you combine the peanut butter with the chocolate, I fear for the future. An emphasis on ethics is notably absent from the business end of science and tech lately.

@ScoeyB - What you mention has some validity, but is largely opinion based. Unless you can back up your claims with actual science references (not .e.g, Mother Earth News) any more comments like this will shut down the thread. We do not do PF science ethics and sociology here at PF in the science forums. If you want, post in the general discussion section, please do so, just not here. Thanks for understanding.

Likes berkeman and TeethWhitener

1. What are xenobots?

Xenobots are a new type of organism that are created from stem cells of African clawed frogs, and are designed to be reconfigurable and able to perform specific tasks.

2. How are xenobots created?

Xenobots are created through a combination of computer simulations and lab experiments. First, scientists use algorithms to design and simulate different configurations of cells. Then, stem cells from African clawed frogs are collected and assembled into the desired configurations using tiny forceps and electrodes.

3. What makes xenobots different from other organisms?

Xenobots are unique in that they are the first completely man-made living organisms. They are also different from traditional robots, as they are made from biological materials and have the ability to heal and self-replicate.

4. What can xenobots be used for?

Xenobots have the potential to be used for various tasks, such as delivering medication inside the body, cleaning up pollution, or even repairing damaged tissue in the human body. They can also be used as a tool for studying and understanding biological systems.

5. Are xenobots safe?

At this stage, xenobots are only able to survive for a few days and cannot reproduce. They are also designed to only perform specific tasks and cannot evolve or mutate. However, as with any new technology, there are still ethical and safety considerations that need to be addressed before xenobots can be used on a larger scale.