Can you me understand this mechanism?

• Thread starter nickjmi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanism
In summary: NqnJM0fP4&t=569sIn summary, this type of cam follower rotates around its shaft to transfer motion to the upright bar. It is a simple lever mechanism, which fixed pivot is located midway. This type of cam follower is often used in valves, which are driven by a rocking arm.
nickjmi
TL;DR Summary
Can you explain me how does it work?
Can you explain me how does it work?

Circular into rectilinear motion. The waved-wheel or cam on the upright shaft communicates a rectilinear motion to the upright bar through the oscillating rod.

i've not understood this explanation

Cattura.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Cattura.JPG

Welcome, nickjmi :cool:

The waved-wheel or cam on the upright shaft rotates around its shaft, which cannot slide up or down.
The follower wheel follows (up and down) the profile of the edge of the waved-wheel or cam.

That up and down movement is transferred to the upright bar via the oscillating lever.
That is basically the mechanism of the valves driven by a rocking arm in combustion engines, only that the type of cam is different and the its profile less complex.

camshaft-operation.gif

Lnewqban said:
Welcome, nickjmi :cool:

The waved-wheel or cam on the upright shaft rotates around its shaft, which cannot slide up or down.
The follower wheel follows (up and down) the profile of the edge of the waved-wheel or cam.

That up and down movement is transferred to the upright bar via the oscillating lever.
That is basically the mechanism of the valves driven by a rocking arm in combustion engines, only that the type of cam is different and the its profile less complex.

View attachment 262413
Thanks, correct me if I'm wrong...
I think that the cam rotates so the follower is forced to go up and down...

If what I've written is correct, I've not understood:

1How does the cam rotate?
2How does the motion is transferred from the follower to the shaft which goes up and down?
3What is the function of the elements of the left?

Thanks ;)

nickjmi said:
Thanks, correct me if I'm wrong...
I think that the cam rotates so the follower is forced to go up and down...

If what I've written is correct, I've not understood:

1How does the cam rotate?
2How does the motion is transferred from the follower to the shaft which goes up and down?
3What is the function of the elements of the left?

Thanks ;)
1) This type of cam is called face cam or end cam. Power from a motor or engine is transferred to it through a rotating shaft, which axial movement is restricted by bearings.

2) It is a simple lever mechanism, which fixed pivot is located midway.

3) I can't understand this question.

Please, watch this video:

1. How does this mechanism work?

This is a common question when trying to understand a mechanism. In order to answer this question, it is important to break down the mechanism into smaller steps and explain the purpose and function of each step. Visual aids, such as diagrams or models, can also be helpful in understanding the mechanism.

2. What is the purpose of this mechanism?

Understanding the purpose of a mechanism is crucial in understanding how it works. This question can be answered by identifying the problem or task that the mechanism is designed to solve or accomplish. It is also important to explain how each step of the mechanism contributes to achieving the overall purpose.

3. Are there any alternative mechanisms that could achieve the same result?

Sometimes, understanding a mechanism involves comparing it to other possible solutions. This question can be answered by discussing the advantages and disadvantages of different mechanisms and explaining why the chosen mechanism is the most effective or efficient for the given purpose.

4. What are the key components of this mechanism?

In order to understand a mechanism, it is important to identify and understand the key components that make it work. These components can include physical parts, as well as intangible factors such as energy sources or control systems. Answering this question may involve providing a detailed list or diagram of the components and their functions.

5. How does this mechanism relate to other mechanisms or systems?

Many mechanisms are part of larger systems or are connected to other mechanisms. Understanding these relationships is important in understanding the overall function and purpose of the mechanism. This question can be answered by discussing the connections and interactions between the mechanism and other components or systems.