Can you help me understand this student's method for problem #3?

• Thread starter halvizo1031
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Student
In summary, the conversation discusses the reasoning behind solving a math problem and how there are different methods to reach the same correct answer. The speaker is having trouble understanding the reasoning behind a specific method that involves adding and dividing, while they would have solved the problem by simply adding and dividing. The other participant explains that both methods are equivalent and compares it to solving a different math problem in two different ways.
halvizo1031

can someone help me out on #3 please. I can't see the reasoning behind her work.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 564
Physics news on Phys.org
Her reasoning would make more sense if you jumped straight to answering b).

I did look at b and her math is correct but it's the reasoning that I am not seeing. I would have just taken the original 4 scores, added the fifth score, and divided by 5.

Obviously both your method and hers are equivalent since they're both correct, but the process which is used is the only difference. It's somewhat similar to solving 5-2 by first starting with 5 and then taking away 2 as compared to solving -2+5 which is to first start with -2.

All I could do in explaining her reasoning would be to repeat exactly what the maths tells you.

Related to Can you help me understand this student's method for problem #3?

1. What is meant by "analyzing student strategies"?

Analyzing student strategies refers to the process of examining and evaluating the methods and techniques that students use to solve problems or complete tasks. This can include observing students in action, collecting data, and identifying patterns in their approaches.

2. Why is it important to analyze student strategies?

Analyzing student strategies is important because it allows educators to gain insight into how their students think and learn. By understanding students' thought processes and problem-solving strategies, teachers can tailor their instruction to better meet the needs of their students.

3. What types of data can be collected when analyzing student strategies?

The types of data that can be collected when analyzing student strategies include observation notes, student work samples, interviews, surveys, and test scores. This data can provide information on students' thought processes, problem-solving methods, and areas of strength and weakness.

4. How can the analysis of student strategies inform teaching practices?

The analysis of student strategies can inform teaching practices by providing insight into which instructional methods and strategies are most effective for different students. It can also help teachers identify areas where students may need additional support or instruction.

5. What are some potential challenges in analyzing student strategies?

Some potential challenges in analyzing student strategies include collecting and organizing large amounts of data, ensuring the data is accurate and reliable, and interpreting the data in a meaningful way. It can also be challenging to balance the time and resources needed for analysis with other teaching responsibilities.