Can you shape a tealight flame into simple forms?

  • Thread starter Thread starter martin1512
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Shape
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
martin1512
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Hi,
I'd like to ask, if its possible to shape a fire. Would it be possible on tealight ?
I don't want complex shapes just simple ones like sphere, cylinder...

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
martin1512 said:
Hi,
I'd like to ask, if its possible to shape a fire. Would it be possible on tealight ?
I don't want complex shapes just simple ones like sphere, cylinder...

Thanks

The shape of a tealight (or any small candle/match/lighter flame) is driven by buoyancy and convective flow. Take away gravity, and flames become spherical. Of course, once you take away convective flow, you have to control the flow of fuel and oxidizer otherwise the flame will burn out:

 
Last edited by a moderator: