Can You Solve This Tricky Geometric Sequence Problem?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter midododo11
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sequence
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 4K views
midododo11
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
In a geometric sequence, the sum of the first three terms is 7
and the sum of the cubes of the first three terms is 73
find the sequence and how did you get it
​
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi midododo11! welcome to pf! :smile:

hmm :rolleyes: … let's try to simplify the calculation by making it as symmetric as possible, sooo …

hint: call the second term of the sequence "x" :wink:​
 


tiny-tim said:
hi midododo11! welcome to pf! :smile:

hmm :rolleyes: … let's try to simplify the calculation by making it as symmetric as possible, sooo …

hint: call the second term of the sequence "x" :wink:​

Hi tiny-tim!
I tried a lot and I always get stuck at the last step, I know the answer but I got it by trial of numbers
Take a look
[URL]http://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex?\large&space;\\a=first&space;\term&space;\\r=&space;common\ratio&space;\\a+ar+ar^2=7&space;\&space;Equation&space;(1)&space;\\a^3+a^3r^3+a^3r^6=73&space;\&space;Equation&space;(2)&space;\\by\&space;dividing\&space;1&space;/&space;2&space;\\\frac{a(1+r+r^2)}{a^3(1+r^3+r^6)}=\frac{7}{73}&space;\\\frac{1+r+r^2}{a^2(1+r^3+r^6)}=\frac{7}{73}
​
[/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry but I don't see the difference if used x as a second term the first term will be x/r and the third xr
 
midododo11 said:
Sorry but I don't see the difference if used x as a second term the first term will be x/r and the third xr

i've no idea why, but I've been misreading "geometric" as "arithmetic" …

maybe i was put off by the colour? :redface:

i don't think there's any systematic way of finding the answer, except possibly to say that r4 must obviously be a bit more than 73/7 … so r must be 2!​
 
tiny-tim said:
i've no idea why, but I've been misreading "geometric" as "arithmetic" …

maybe i was put off by the colour? :redface:

i don't think there's any systematic way of finding the answer, except possibly to say that r4 must obviously be a bit more than 73/7 … so r must be 2!​

Ok, thanks
 
ILoveScience said:
I got 1,4, and 2...?
yeah but it's required to write the steps that's the difficult part
 
midododo11 said:
yeah but it's required to write the steps that's the difficult part

does writing the program to calculate it by brute force count? :P