Arithmetic Sequence Confusion // a{n-1} and a{n+1}

In summary: They did a{1} by starting with a{0} and calculating 3a(0)- 1 to find a{1}. Then they did a{2} by starting with a{1} and calculating 3a(1)- 1 to find a{2}. Finally, they did a{3} by starting with a{2} and calculating 3a(2)- 1 to find a{3}.
Machara
So I have this problem I'm stuck on wrapping my head around a particular problem "In the sequence a{n}, let a{0}=2. If a{n+1} = 3 a{n} −1, then what is the value of a3?"

I understand it's following the pattern of each term, and that with Arithmetic sequence a{n-1} means you would use the a{n} term immediately prior (e.g solving for a{2} you would use the result of a{1}) but in this particular problem the sequence is a{n+1} which one would assume you would use the result of the term after? since it's Plus 1 not Minus 1, but that doesn't make sense.

On top of I can elaborate the solutions answer on my worksheet to explain what's happening, and it's saying for a{2} you would input the solution from a{1} to solve for a{2} but wouldn't that be implying the sequence is a{n-1} not a{n+1}?

What's the difference? am I missing something?
This is the elaborated solution that the webpage answers for me:

"Explanation:

To find a{3}
, first find a{1} and a{2}. The sequence says a(n+1)=3a{n}−1, and we know a{0}=2. So, we can find the rest of the sequence, starting with a{1}

a{0}=2
a{1}=3(2)−1=5
a{2}=3(5)−1=14
a{3}=3(14)−1=41

So, a{3}=41"

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Machara said:
So I have this problem I'm stuck on wrapping my head around a particular problem "In the sequence a{n}, let a{0}=2. If a{n+1} = 3 a{n} −1, then what is the value of a3?"
Do you understand what "a{0}= 2, a{n+1}= 3a{n}- 1" means?

You are told that a{0}= 2. a{1}= a{0+ 1} so a{1}= 3a{0}- 1= 3(2) -1= 5. Then a{2}= a{1+ 1}= 3a{1}- 1= 3(5)- 1= 15- 1= 14. Finally, a{3}= a(2+ 1}= 3a(2)- 1= 3(14)- 1= 42- 1= 4.

I understand it's following the pattern of each term, and that with Arithmetic sequence a{n-1} means you would use the a{n} term immediately prior (e.g solving for a{2} you would use the result of a{1}) but in this particular problem the sequence is a{n+1} which one would assume you would use the result of the term after? since it's Plus 1 not Minus 1, but that doesn't make sense.

On top of I can elaborate the solutions answer on my worksheet to explain what's happening, and it's saying for a{2} you would input the solution from a{1} to solve for a{2} but wouldn't that be implying the sequence is a{n-1} not a{n+1}?
I have no idea where you got "a-1". The problem clearly says a{n+1}

What's the difference? am I missing something?
This is the elaborated solution that the webpage answers for me:

"Explanation:

To find a{3}
, first find a{1} and a{2}. The sequence says a(n+1)=3a{n}−1, and we know a{0}=2. So, we can find the rest of the sequence, starting with a{1}

a{0}=2
a{1}=3(2)−1=5
a{2}=3(5)−1=14
a{3}=3(14)−1=41

So, a{3}=41"
I don't see what you could be misunderstanding about this. They took each "a" value, in turn, and calculated 3a(n)- 1 to find the next "a".

1. What is an arithmetic sequence?

An arithmetic sequence is a sequence of numbers where the difference between consecutive terms is constant. In other words, each term is obtained by adding or subtracting the same number from the previous term.

2. What is the formula for finding the nth term of an arithmetic sequence?

The formula for finding the nth term of an arithmetic sequence is: an = a1 + (n-1)d, where an is the nth term, a1 is the first term, and d is the common difference between consecutive terms.

3. What is the difference between an-1 and an+1 in an arithmetic sequence?

In an arithmetic sequence, an-1 refers to the term that comes before the nth term, while an+1 refers to the term that comes after the nth term. These terms may have different values if the sequence is not symmetrical or if the common difference is not constant.

4. How can I use an-1 and an+1 to find the value of an in an arithmetic sequence?

To find the value of an using an-1 and an+1, you can use the formula an = (an-1 + an+1)/2. This is known as the arithmetic mean or average of the two terms.

5. Can an-1 and an+1 be used interchangeably in an arithmetic sequence?

No, an-1 and an+1 cannot be used interchangeably in an arithmetic sequence. They represent different terms in the sequence and may have different values. It is important to understand the difference between these terms when working with arithmetic sequences.