Can You Spot the Lie? - A Game of Truths and Deceptions

  • Thread starter Thread starter lisab
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
152 replies · 33K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
2,050
Reaction score
614
Tell three truths about yourself and one lie. Everyone gets one guess which is the lie. First to guess correctly gets to go next. I'll go first:

1. I water skied in the Bering Sea.
2. I was deported from Bulgaria.
3. I literally ran into a moose.
4. I was shot by a drunk cop.

Guess away!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Maylis said:
I'll guess 4 was the lie

Nope :smile:
 
lisab said:
Nope :smile:

OMG! Are you serious! :cry:

What the heck was that cop thinking? will not thinking obviously.. Damn it! I'd guess the first is the lie?
 
Gad said:
OMG! Are you serious! :cry:

What the heck was that cop thinking? will not thinking obviously.. Damn it! I'd guess the first is the lie?

As incredible as it sounds, it's actually not so amazing. I was about 12 or 13 years old, working (illegally) as a clean-up girl at a rod and gun club. My job was to keep the skeet and trap machines loaded with clay pigeons, and keep the grounds and club house clean.

There was a big tournament one weekend. Traditionally, after a competition there is (a lot of) drinking. Also by tradition, the winner's hat is "stolen" from him. His friends fill the hat with rocks, throw it into the air, and shoot at it. It's called the Turkey Shoot. Then the hat is then returned to its owner as a trophy :biggrin:.

So after this big tournament, I was doing my job cleaning the grounds (cigar butts, eww ). I came walking around one of the houses, and walked straight into the Turkey Shoot. Guns going off all over the place...but I was OK somehow! Then, one second later, the last guy shoots. And yep, one of the pellets from his shotgun hit my leg - just one pellet.

He was about 15 meters away. I was wearing thick denim pants. It stung but didn't break the skin, and I was totally OK.

But you can imagine how everyone suddenly sobered up. I remember someone yelled, "Oh !@#$, we shot the girl!"

Still, the fact remains: he was drunk, he was a cop (off duty), and he shot me.

One of my favorite stories :wink:.

No, #1 is not a lie.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
What a story. Glad you're fine. So what's the lie??
 
Evo said:
You ran into a moose.

I actually did run into a moose.

My dad lived in Alaska and I lived with him in the summers. The flight up there was sooooo long, and after one especially long one I was just ready to burst with energy once I got there. It was still a bit light outside, so my brother and I had a race to the road and back. We were neck-and-neck, laughing our asses off... and ran right into a damn moose. I mean, it clothes-lined us.

I don't know who was more surprised, us or the moose.
 
[strike]You didn't water ski in Bering sea?[/strike]
 
I've never been to Bulgaria (yet), so whoever has not guessed yet - first come, first served :smile:!
 
lisab said:
I've never been to Bulgaria (yet), so whoever has not guessed yet - first come, first served :smile:!
I guess you haven't been deported from Bulgaria? :-p

This hardly seems fair, though. :redface:
 
Ok, I'll go next.

1) I was escorted out of Thailand's Imperial palace at the point of machine guns by soldiers

2) I was eyewitness to a murder

3) The day after a CPR lesson, a coworker collapsed and I resuscitated them

4) I was busted in a narcotics raid, but the officers told me to run and didn't book me because they had seen me before and thought I was cute.

Wow, it's hard to stop at three.
 
Last edited:
Evo said:
Ok, I'll go next.

1) I was escorted out of Thailand's Imperial palace at the point of machine guns by soldiers

2) I was eyewitness to a murder

3) The day after a CPR lesson, a coworker collapsed and I resuscitated them

4) I was busted in a narcotics raid, but the officers told me to run and didn't book me because they had seen me before and thought I was cute.

Wow, it's hard to stop at three.


... :bugeye:
 
OK. After a very hard thinking, I'll go with #4.
 
Gad said:
OK. After a very hard thinking, I'll go with #4.
Nope, that really happened. Their exact words were "ah crap, it's her, now what are we going to do?"

I used to walk by them daily after my driver's ed class to a friend's apartment and they were always sitting outside and would flirt with me. That's where the "party" was that they busted, I didn't do drugs. As they were handcuffing everyone, they told me to get the heck out of there.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
I will go with #3
You accidentally killed the guy pushing his osteporetic rib into his heart thus eye-witnessing a murder.
:devil:
 
Last edited:
Enigman said:
I will go with #3
You accidentally killed the guy pushing his osteporetic rib into his heart thus eye-witnessing a murder.
:devil:
LOL! That would be me!

Oh, actually #3 is false, I was saying no to Eigman's version.

So yes, #3 is false, the rest are true.
 
Last edited:
I'll guess #1 because I think that I saw a post from you about witnessing a murder.

Gad said:
Wow. I'm loving this thread. :biggrin:
+1 on that. Definitely an interesting thread.
 
Nope, #1 is also true. Sorry, I corrected above, #3 is false. I did learn CPR, luckily never had to use it.

Next!
 
1.) I've written two novels.
2.) I lost my virginity in a pick up truck.
3.) I've been put in jail.
4.) I've eaten Reindeer meat.
 
1) I never claim to be consistent.
2) The next statement I say is true.
3) The previous statement I said was a lie.
4) I call myself Enigman. Welcome to Wonderland.

Mr.E

P.S. iTroll
 
zoobyshoe said:
1.) I've written two novels.
2.) I lost my virginity in a pick up truck.
3.) I've been put in jail.
4.) I've eaten Reindeer meat.
#2 It was under it.
 
Enigman said:
#2 It was under it.

Incorrect. #2 is true.
 
zoobyshoe said:
1.) I've written two novels.
2.) I lost my virginity in a pick up truck.
3.) I've been put in jail.
4.) I've eaten Reindeer meat.
#4?...
 
Evo said:
#4?...
#4 is true. A friend's father once came back from some long trip with some cans of reindeer meat soup.
 
Enigman said:
1) I never claim to be consistent.
2) The next statement I say is true.
3) The previous statement I said was a lie.
4) I call myself Enigman. Welcome to Wonderland.

Mr.E

P.S. iTroll

:-p