Cancellation in a finite semigroup

• Thread starter radou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Finite
In summary: N} is a subset of G, and it is a closed subset. The G is a group.{a^k: k in N} is a subset of G, and it is a closed subset.
radou
Homework Helper
So, let G be a nonempty finite set with an associative binary operation such that for all a,b,c in G ab = ac => b = c & ba = ca => b = c, i.e. both left and right cancellation hold. The G is a group.

Ok, I really had no inspiration how to solve this one, so I looked at the solution, which confused me. Namely, it states that, given any element a from G, the set <a> = {a^k : k in N} must be a subset of G, and even better, it is a closed subset of G, and we *consider it in place of G*. This is what confuses me. How can we consider it in place of G? What if there are other elements in G which can not be generated by some a from G? I'm probably missing something simple, but I can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
{a^k: k in N} is not only closed, it's finite. How can this be? Must be for some k1<k2, a^k1=a^k2. Now think of using your cancellation property. The goal here is to show that 'a' has a inverse.

Dick said:
{a^k: k in N} is not only closed, it's finite. How can this be? Must be for some k1<k2, a^k1=a^k2. Now think of using your cancellation property. The goal here is to show that 'a' has a inverse.

Yes, it's finite, since it is a subset of a finite set.

Shouldn't I try to show that there exists an identity element in G first?

Yes radou., If ak1=ak2, suppose k2>k1. You can write the right hand side as a multiple of ak1*something if you think about it for a couple seconds... what is that something?

The trip up is what you just proved exists is dependent on a... so you'll need to prove it's the same one for all elements in G

Guess so. I was thinking a semigroup had an identity.

Not knowing the definition of a semigroup off the top of my head, from what you're given you don't know G has an identity (the word semigroup is never used in the problem, so it doesn't even matter that I don't know the definition)

You have a semi group, so you're given things like associativity, so all you need to do is show that you have an identity and an inverse for each element a. To do this it suffices to work in <a> - if we can show it here, it holds for G, since G will be the union of its cyclic subgroups, and all you need to do is show uniqueness of the identity (a priori this construction on cyclic subgroups shows that there are lots of identities).I don't know why the question bothers to say that, but that is what is going on.

1. What is cancellation in a finite semigroup?

Cancellation is a property of semigroups where if two elements have the same product with a third element, then they must be equal. In other words, if ab = ac, then b = c. This property is important in studying the structure of finite semigroups.

2. How does cancellation differ from invertibility?

While both properties involve multiplication in a semigroup, cancellation only requires that the product of two elements with a third element is unique, while invertibility requires that the product of two elements with a third element is both unique and yields the identity element. In other words, cancellation is a weaker property than invertibility.

3. What is the significance of cancellation in finite semigroups?

Cancellation allows us to simplify equations involving elements in a finite semigroup. In addition, it helps us to classify and understand the structure of finite semigroups, as those with cancellation have different properties and behaviors than those without cancellation.

4. Do all finite semigroups have cancellation?

No, not all finite semigroups have cancellation. For example, the semigroup with only one element does not have cancellation, as any two elements will have the same product with any third element. There are also other examples of finite semigroups without cancellation.

5. How is cancellation related to other algebraic structures?

Cancellation is closely related to other algebraic structures, such as groups and rings. In fact, a finite semigroup with cancellation is also a group, and a finite semigroup with invertibility is a ring. However, not all finite semigroups are also groups or rings, as they may lack the necessary properties for these structures.