What chemicals create the candyshop smell and are they dangerous?

  • Thread starter Thread starter misgfool
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
misgfool
I have noticed that distinctive candyshop odour in one part of my bicycling trips. Now as the saying goes "if something smells too good..." so I'm a little bit concerned. What is the chemical or chemicals that create that candyshop smell and can they be used for something dangerous?
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
can be used for something dangerous? ?_?

First of all, all chemicals are dangerous, it's only a matter of dosage (look up LD50 and ED50).

And probably it's one or two sorts of candy that tickles your imagination. Maybe it's some biological or psychological imprint of a candyshop you visited as a child? Who knows, I am only speculating here.

But maybe some candy-chains have some distinct signature-flavour-odour to their shops to lure customers in there. I think that such scents could be very bad when produced, because synthesizing complex molecules like that and in abundance will require a great deal of energy and very complex rawmaterials.

The only dangerous I can think of visavi this candy-shop flavour (if my hypothesis holds) is that either the plant is inefficient or the chemical itself is very stable and lipophile etc.
 
You are probably smelling sugar. Yes, sugar in high enough quantities can be dangerous.
 
Fearless said:
And probably it's one or two sorts of candy that tickles your imagination. Maybe it's some biological or psychological imprint of a candyshop you visited as a child? Who knows, I am only speculating here.

They all have the same odour for me. But it is very unusual to notice it outdoors. Thing is that the odour is about 150 meters (~165 yards) from the nearest buildings, which may or may not be the source.

Fearless said:
But maybe some candy-chains have some distinct signature-flavour-odour to their shops to lure customers in there. I think that such scents could be very bad when produced, because synthesizing complex molecules like that and in abundance will require a great deal of energy and very complex rawmaterials.

Yes, but i was wondering if such chemicals were a byproduct of some other process.
 
HallsofIvy said:
You are probably smelling sugar. Yes, sugar in high enough quantities can be dangerous.

I think plain sugar wouldn't, but strongly heated might. So someone is burning high quantities of sugar on a daily basis? At least there shouldn't be any power utilities nearby. Are there any other possible industrial uses for sugar?
 
Your "candy store" smell could easily be emanating from a craft shop that makes scented candles. Those scents are very powerful and they persist in the air. There used to be a candle shop about a mile from where I worked, and I used to have to roll up my windows and shut off all ventilation until I got past it. On my motorcycle, I had to hold my breath for a few tenths of a mile to avoid having a medical emergency. It was bad.
 
turbo-1 said:
Your "candy store" smell could easily be emanating from a craft shop that makes scented candles. Those scents are very powerful and they persist in the air. There used to be a candle shop about a mile from where I worked, and I used to have to roll up my windows and shut off all ventilation until I got past it. On my motorcycle, I had to hold my breath for a few tenths of a mile to avoid having a medical emergency. It was bad.

This is possible. There are some candle shops there, but I don't know is there any manufacturing.
 
misgfool said:
This is possible. There are some candle shops there, but I don't know is there any manufacturing.
It's easy to mold candles (very low-tech), and it is often done in small batches, to vary the colors and odors.