1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Canonical Transformation/Poisson Brackets

1. Jun 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to show that [tex] [q_j, p_k] = \delta_{jk} [/tex] (this is part of exercise 2.7.3 from Shankar's QM). I'm having difficulties with the summation notation.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex] [q_j, p_k] = \sum_{k} (\frac{\partial q_j}{\partial q_k} \frac{\partial p_k}{\partial p_k} - \frac{\partial q_j}{\partial p_k} \frac{\partial p_j}{\partial q_k}[/tex] [tex] = \sum_{k} - \delta_{jk} = \delta_{jk} ??[/tex]
    I'm not so confident on my choice of 'k' as the summation variable. It seems to me the summation should not disappear like that. If I am interpreting this correctly, the negative sign isn't such a big deal... Can anyone check my work, I don't think I am doing it correctly

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2009 #2
    Yes, you have to be careful about that. Left, the [tex]p_k[/tex] carries an index k. That means you shouldn't use k as a summation dummy index on the right hand side. Try working it out starting from the following:

[tex] [q_j,p_k] = \sum_n \left( \frac{\partial q_j}{\partial q_n}\frac{\partial p_k}{\partial p_n} - \frac{\partial q_j}{\partial p_n}\frac{\partial p_k}{\partial q_n}\right)[/tex]

EDIT: mixed up the indices myself...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  4. Jun 6, 2009 #3

Cyosis

Homework Helper

There is more amiss here. The indices of the numerators are wrong as well. (we're talking about Poisson brackets here right?)

[tex]
    [q_j,p_k]=\sum_n \left( \frac{\partial q_j}{\partial q_n}\frac{\partial p_k}{\partial p_n} - \frac{\partial q_j}{\partial p_n}\frac{\partial p_k}{\partial q_n}\right)
    [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook