Can't decide if my proof is right or not ?inverse functions

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof from Spivak's calculus book and whether or not the approach used is correct. The proof involves functions, their inverses, and limits. The person summarizing believes that the proof is intuitively correct, but may need a more formal definition to be completely accurate. They also mention the importance of being precise and avoiding undefined notation.
Andrax
so before i start this is extracted from spivak's calculus proof
now here is the problem the teacher who taught us limits and dervatives for the first time told us not to use f(x)-f(a) instead of f(a+h)-f(a)
so spivak wanted us to prove that if f a one-one function and is continious on an interval and differentiable on f[itex]^{-1}[/itex](b) then f'(b) exists and (f^-1)'(b)=[itex]\frac{1}{f'(f^-1(b))}[/itex](f^-1 = inverse of f )
i did the opposite of what spivak did , spivak started from the definition of f'(b) while i started wtih the definition of f[itex]^{-1}[/itex](b), so is my proof right?
let f(a) = b then f^-1(b)=a so
f'(f[itex]^{-1}[/itex](b) = f'(a) = [itex]\lim_{x \to a}\frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a} [/itex]=[itex]\lim_{x \to f^-1(b)}\frac{f(x)-b}{x-f^-1(b)} [/itex]
now when x approches a=f^-1(b) in the domain of f , f(x)approaches f(a)=b in the domain on f-1 and we can set f(x)=x later on
so =[itex]\lim_{f(x) \to b}\frac{f(x)-b}{x-f^-1(b)} [/itex]
replacing f(x) by the new x in the domain of f^-1 and b by f^-1(b) and x by f^-1(x)= a(I hope I'm right in this phase, please correct me if I'm wrong)
=[itex]\lim_{x \to b}\frac{x-b}{f^-1(x)-f^-1(b)} [/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{(f^-1)'(b)}[/itex]
i've always been confused when changing the x to f(x) : do we also change the function or it remains intact?Limx->af(x) <=>Limf(x)->f(a) [f(f(x))) or f(x)? ] if i made a fault it would be this, thanks for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is b? And you haven't named the interval. I think you need to be more precise.

verty said:
What is b? And you haven't named the interval. I think you need to be more precise.

It dosen't really matter with this proof but okay let b belongs to [n, m] where f is defined...

I think your proof is intuitively right. However, an expression such as

[tex]\lim_{f(x)\rightarrow a}{g(x)}[/tex]

is not formally defined. At least, I don't think Spivak defines it or works with it. So to get a formal proof, you either have to define precisely what the above means, or you need to write your proof to avoid the above notation.

micromass said:
I think your proof is intuitively right. However, an expression such as

[tex]\lim_{f(x)\rightarrow a}{g(x)}[/tex]

is not formally defined. At least, I don't think Spivak defines it or works with it. So to get a formal proof, you either have to define precisely what the above means, or you need to write your proof to avoid the above notation.
Well yeah I'll try that I thought it's obvious since the pair x, f(x) is in f so f(x), x in f-1

1. How do I know if my proof is correct?

One way to check the correctness of your proof is to carefully review each step and make sure that each follows logically from the previous one. You can also ask a colleague or mentor to review your proof and provide feedback.

2. What are the common mistakes to avoid in proving inverse functions?

Some common mistakes in proving inverse functions include not showing that the functions are both one-to-one, assuming that the inverse function exists without proving it, and not using the proper notation for inverse functions.

3. Can I use examples to support my proof of inverse functions?

Yes, providing examples can be a helpful way to illustrate the concept of inverse functions and support your proof. However, it is important to also provide a logical and mathematical justification for your proof.

4. Is it necessary to use algebraic manipulations in proving inverse functions?

Yes, algebraic manipulations are often necessary in proving inverse functions. However, it is important to use them correctly and show all the steps in your proof.

5. How can I improve my understanding of inverse functions in order to write a better proof?

To improve your understanding of inverse functions, it can be helpful to review the properties and definitions of inverse functions, practice solving problems involving inverse functions, and seek out additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials.