1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can't figure out how to evaluate a sequence as it goes to infinity.

1. Jan 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An = (((-1)^(n-1))n)/(n^2 + 1)

I need to know if it converges or diverges and if it converges the limit.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know it converges to 0. But I don't know how to show it when evaluating. I tried evaluation An| in the absolute value but I keep ending up with oo/oo

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try dividing numerator and denominator by n.

4. Jan 30, 2012 #3
    lin n -> oo abs (((n(-1)^(n-1))/(n + 1/n)) * (1/n)) So it ends up being (infinity/infinity) * 0 = 0. Is that really a valid way to evaluate it?

5. Jan 30, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, it's not. But n*(1/n)=1. Take the absolute value and you've got 1/(n+1/n). What's that limit?

6. Jan 30, 2012 #5
    The limit is to infinity.
    http://www4d.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP44701a03g21d31b6h65500003b8813i95da1dcbe?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=25&w=119&h=40 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  7. Jan 30, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why would you think that?

8. Jan 30, 2012 #7
    Well the problem text says Determine whether the sequences converges or diverges. If it converges find the limit.

9. Jan 30, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think limit n->infinity of 1/(n+1/n) is infinity.

10. Jan 30, 2012 #9
    Not sure if I wrote the problem bad. Here is what the problem looks like the text. an= 0aikG.gif

11. Jan 30, 2012 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's what I thought it was. I'm going to just have to repeat what I said to start with. Divide numerator and denominator by n. That doesn't change the limit. Now you don't have infinity/infinity. What form do you have?

12. Jan 30, 2012 #11
    ZFAub.gif

I don't see how it helps unless you take the absolute value of it.

13. Jan 30, 2012 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Doesn't the denominator go to infinity and the numerator not go to infinity? The numerator is bounded. Taking the absolute value wouldn't hurt. But it's not infinity/infinity anymore.

14. Jan 30, 2012 #13
    Numerator will be -1 or 1. Divided by infinity it evaluates to 0. But I am not sure if that is a valid way to show that it evaluates to 0. In the book I am using (Stewart) it gives a therom if Lim n-> infinity |an = o than Lim n-> infinity |an = 0.

15. Jan 30, 2012 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you mean lim n->infinity |an|=0 then lim n->infinity an=0. |an|=1/(n+1/n). Surely that approaches 0. It has the form 1/infinity doesn't it? You probably don't need a epsilon style proof here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook