Can't figure out how to evaluate a sequence as it goes to infinity.

In summary, the given sequence (((-1)^(n-1))n)/(n^2 + 1) converges to 0 and the limit is evaluated by dividing the numerator and denominator by n and taking the absolute value, resulting in 1/(n+1/n), which approaches 0. This is a valid way to show that the limit is 0 according to the theorem given in the textbook.
kripenwah

Homework Statement

An = (((-1)^(n-1))n)/(n^2 + 1)

I need to know if it converges or diverges and if it converges the limit.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know it converges to 0. But I don't know how to show it when evaluating. I tried evaluation An| in the absolute value but I keep ending up with oo/oo

Physics news on Phys.org
Try dividing numerator and denominator by n.

lin n -> oo abs (((n(-1)^(n-1))/(n + 1/n)) * (1/n)) So it ends up being (infinity/infinity) * 0 = 0. Is that really a valid way to evaluate it?

No, it's not. But n*(1/n)=1. Take the absolute value and you've got 1/(n+1/n). What's that limit?

The limit is to infinity.
http://www4d.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP44701a03g21d31b6h65500003b8813i95da1dcbe?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=25&w=119&h=40

Last edited by a moderator:
kripenwah said:
The limit is to infinity.

Why would you think that?

Well the problem text says Determine whether the sequences converges or diverges. If it converges find the limit.

I don't think limit n->infinity of 1/(n+1/n) is infinity.

Not sure if I wrote the problem bad. Here is what the problem looks like the text. an=
0aikG.gif

kripenwah said:
Not sure if I wrote the problem bad. Here is what the problem looks like the text. an=
0aikG.gif

That's what I thought it was. I'm going to just have to repeat what I said to start with. Divide numerator and denominator by n. That doesn't change the limit. Now you don't have infinity/infinity. What form do you have?

ZFAub.gif

I don't see how it helps unless you take the absolute value of it.

kripenwah said:
ZFAub.gif

I don't see how it helps.

Doesn't the denominator go to infinity and the numerator not go to infinity? The numerator is bounded. Taking the absolute value wouldn't hurt. But it's not infinity/infinity anymore.

Numerator will be -1 or 1. Divided by infinity it evaluates to 0. But I am not sure if that is a valid way to show that it evaluates to 0. In the book I am using (Stewart) it gives a therom if Lim n-> infinity |an = o than Lim n-> infinity |an = 0.

kripenwah said:
Numerator will be -1 or 1. Divided by infinity it evaluates to 0. But I am not sure if that is a valid way to show that it evaluates to 0. In the book I am using (Stewart) it gives a therom if Lim n-> infinity |an = o than Lim n-> infinity |an = 0.

I think you mean lim n->infinity |an|=0 then lim n->infinity an=0. |an|=1/(n+1/n). Surely that approaches 0. It has the form 1/infinity doesn't it? You probably don't need a epsilon style proof here.

1. What does it mean to evaluate a sequence as it goes to infinity?

Evaluating a sequence as it goes to infinity means finding the limiting behavior or value of the sequence as the number of terms increases indefinitely. This is often done by examining the pattern or trend of the sequence and determining what value it approaches or converges to.

2. How do I determine if a sequence goes to infinity?

To determine if a sequence goes to infinity, you can look for certain patterns or characteristics. Some common indicators include the sequence increasing or decreasing without bound, alternating between positive and negative values, or approaching a specific value that is infinitely large or small.

3. Can all sequences be evaluated as they go to infinity?

No, not all sequences can be evaluated as they go to infinity. Some sequences may not have a limiting behavior or may have a complex behavior that cannot be determined without advanced mathematical techniques. In these cases, it may be necessary to analyze the sequence in a different way, such as using a graph or formula.

4. What are some common methods for evaluating sequences as they go to infinity?

There are several methods that can be used to evaluate sequences as they go to infinity. These include the ratio test, the root test, and the comparison test. These methods involve analyzing the growth rate or size of the terms in the sequence to determine its limiting behavior.

5. Why is it important to evaluate a sequence as it goes to infinity?

Evaluating a sequence as it goes to infinity can provide valuable insights into its behavior and properties. It can help determine if a sequence converges or diverges, and if it converges, what value it approaches. This information can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance, where understanding the behavior of a sequence is crucial for making predictions and decisions.