Can't figure out next steps

• Thread starter tennistudof09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, the two identities are cot(-x)cos(-x)+sin(-x)= -csc x and sin^4 x + (2 sin^2 x) (cos^2 x) + cos^4 x = 1. To verify the identities, one can use their knowledge of related acute angles and simplify the expressions to reach the desired result. Starting on the left side of the first identity, one can express cotangent (-x) as a positive value in the fourth quadrant, and cosine and sine as negative values. Using related acute angles, one can simplify the expression to reach -csc x. Similarly, for the second identity, one can use factoring and their knowledge of related acute angles to simplify the
tennistudof09
i am trying to verify the two identities listed below:

cot(-x)cos(-x)+sin(-x)= -csc x

i started out as:

cos(-x)/sin(-x) cos(x)-sin x, then got it to cos^2 x/sin x - sin x. I thinking i am solving this correctly but I can't figure out the next step to get -csc x.

sin^4 x + (2 sin^2 x) (cos^2 x) + cos^4 x = 1

for this one, first, i factored and got:

sin^2 x (sin^2 x + 2) cos^2 x (1 + cos^2 x) =1

I don't know if the factoring helped or did anything, but I can't seem to get anything else to get 1.

Physics news on Phys.org
You did a lot of unnecessary stuff there. Start on the left side. Cotangent (-x) is negative in the 4th quadrant, so what can that be expressed as? Cosine is positive in 4th quadrant so what can that be expressed as? Sine is negative in 4th quadrant, once again, adjust the sin(-x) into something else. Use your knowledge of related acute angles, and then simplify.

It looks like you are on the right track with your approach to verifying these identities. For the first one, you can use the identity cos^2 x + sin^2 x = 1 to simplify cos^2 x/sin x - sin x to -sin x. Then, you can use the identity csc x = 1/sin x to get -csc x.

For the second identity, you can use the Pythagorean identity sin^2 x + cos^2 x = 1 to simplify sin^2 x (sin^2 x + 2) cos^2 x (1 + cos^2 x) to sin^4 x + 2sin^2 x cos^2 x + cos^4 x = 1. Then, you can use the identity cos^2 x = 1 - sin^2 x to simplify further and get sin^4 x + 2sin^2 x (1 - sin^2 x) + (1 - sin^2 x)^2 = 1. This simplifies to sin^4 x + 2sin^2 x - 2sin^4 x + 1 - 2sin^2 x + sin^4 x = 1. Finally, combining like terms gives 1 = 1, which verifies the identity.

1. How do I determine my next steps in my research project?

The first step is to clearly define your research question and objectives. Then, conduct a thorough literature review to understand the current state of knowledge in your field. From there, brainstorm potential methods and approaches to address your research question. Finally, consult with colleagues and mentors for feedback and guidance.

2. What should I do if my initial results are not what I expected?

It is common for research to not always go as planned. If your initial results are not what you expected, take a step back and reevaluate your methods and approach. Consider consulting with colleagues or seeking additional resources to help troubleshoot and refine your methods. Remember to stay open-minded and flexible in your research process.

3. How do I prioritize my next steps in my research project?

Prioritizing your next steps in a research project will depend on your specific research goals and objectives. It is important to keep your research question and objectives in mind when determining which steps to prioritize. Additionally, consider the feasibility and impact of each potential step in relation to your overall research goals.

4. What resources can I turn to for help with determining my next steps?

There are many resources available to help with determining next steps in a research project. These can include speaking with colleagues and mentors, attending conferences and workshops, consulting with subject-matter experts, and utilizing online databases and resources. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a research consultant or professional organization in your field.

5. How can I stay motivated and focused on my next steps in my research project?

Research can be a challenging and time-consuming process, so it is important to stay motivated and focused on your next steps. One way to stay motivated is to regularly remind yourself of the importance and impact of your research. Additionally, setting achievable and measurable goals for each step in your research process can help keep you focused and on track. Don't be afraid to take breaks and seek support from colleagues or mentors when needed.