Types of reactions -- identification

In summary, the conversation discusses the reaction occurring in H2O + SO3 -> H2SO4, with the conclusion that it is a synthesis (direct combination) reaction. The participants also mention other possible terms for this type of reaction, such as 'hydration' and 'dehydration'.
Cheesycheese213

Homework Statement

What is the reaction occurring in
H2O + SO3 -> H2SO4

2. The attempt at a solution
Sorry, if this is dumb, I was confused about this question because I think its synthesis but I thought it only worked with elements? (Element A + Element B = Compound AB)
But then with this, I have water and SO3 which are already compounds becoming a bigger compound?
I don't think it really fits with the other types of reactions (single displacement, double displacement, decomposition and combustion all end up with something like A + B?), but then if it is synthesis does that mean that all compounds can also do this?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is synthesis. You combine two things producing a third.

It is synthesis(direct combination) reaction.

Different terms may describe different aspects, so you may more often encounter this described as 'hydration', the reverse reaction 'dehydration'.

1. What are the different types of chemical reactions?

There are five main types of chemical reactions: synthesis (combination), decomposition, single displacement, double displacement, and combustion.

2. How can you identify the type of chemical reaction?

The type of chemical reaction can be identified by observing the reactants and products. Synthesis reactions involve two or more substances combining to form a single product, while decomposition reactions involve a single reactant breaking down into two or more products. Single displacement reactions involve an element replacing another element in a compound, and double displacement reactions involve the exchange of ions between two compounds. Combustion reactions involve the rapid combination of oxygen with a fuel source.

3. What are some examples of synthesis reactions?

Examples of synthesis reactions include the formation of water (H2O) from hydrogen gas (H2) and oxygen gas (O2), and the formation of sodium chloride (NaCl) from sodium (Na) and chlorine (Cl2).

4. How do you know if a reaction is a decomposition reaction?

A decomposition reaction can be identified by the presence of a single reactant breaking down into two or more products. This can also be indicated by the use of heat or light to initiate the reaction.

5. What is a combustion reaction?

A combustion reaction is a type of chemical reaction that involves the rapid combination of a fuel source (such as a hydrocarbon) with oxygen gas. This reaction produces heat and light, and the products are usually carbon dioxide and water.