Can't get over how cool firefox is

  • Thread starter gazzo
  • Start date
  • #27
40
0
Hey, now don't go thinking GNU/Linux can't run viruses: http://os.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/01/25/1430222&from=rss [Broken]

:biggrin:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #28
1,090
6
rofl that is hilarious

"When I went out of my way to be part of the Windows community by doing my part to propagate Windows viruses (lots of Windows users seem to think this is important, seeing as how they run random executables and use Microsoft Outlook and Internet Explorer) "

I tip my hat to the creators of the SomeFool virus, for actually (albeit temporarily and minimally) affecting my Linux experience. However, if that's the most damage I can get by running viruses with Wine under a dummy account, then it's clear that the Wine developers have a long way to go before Wine is truly Windows compatible.
 
  • #29
175
0
hehe.

Have any of you actually been infected with a linux virus ? Isn't there a few lurking around? :confused:
 
  • #30
graphic7
Gold Member
450
2
gazzo said:
hehe.

Have any of you actually been infected with a linux virus ? Isn't there a few lurking around? :confused:

Linux systems typically do not get infected by viruses, however, I'm sure there are a few. Usually, it's a combination of kernel and networking services (likely OpenSSH or various FTP daemons) that lead to a Linux system being compromised.
 
  • #31
I use firefox exclusively on my Fedora box. However, my favorite web browser is Safari. Just waiting for the RSS version.

Just curious, when I used windows briefly, I was led to believe that IE was linked with the OS shell explorer. This made it impossible, virtually, to uninstall. I only used windows for a little while though so I am probably wrong. Can someone elaborate on that?
 
  • #32
graphic7
Gold Member
450
2
ELIZAeffect said:
I use firefox exclusively on my Fedora box. However, my favorite web browser is Safari. Just waiting for the RSS version.

Just curious, when I used windows briefly, I was led to believe that IE was linked with the OS shell explorer. This made it impossible, virtually, to uninstall. I only used windows for a little while though so I am probably wrong. Can someone elaborate on that?

Yes, that's correct - IE is pretty much Windows Explorer. I know they have seperate executables, but IE is basically a superset of Windows Explorer. Because of this, IE usually has very fast start-up times, compared to Firefox or Mozilla. Firefox and Mozilla, both, have improved their start-up times, and are nearly comparable with IE's times.
 
  • #33
1,430
6
gazzo said:
hehe.

Have any of you actually been infected with a linux virus ? Isn't there a few lurking around? :confused:


Linux viruses are rare, and generally not an issue because they can't do any damage without access to the root directory, which means generally you'd have to run them logged in as root.
 
  • #34
graphic7
Gold Member
450
2
franznietzsche said:
Linux viruses are rare, and generally not an issue because they can't do any damage without access to the root directory, which means generally you'd have to run them logged in as root.

If the executable is ran SUID, it can do damage to the root directory.
 
  • #35
1,430
6
graphic7 said:
If the executable is ran SUID, it can do damage to the root directory.


i would consider super user and root login the same, but yes.
 
  • #36
graphic7
Gold Member
450
2
franznietzsche said:
i would consider super user and root login the same, but yes.

Thank you for confirming that, but the confirmation was not needed.

SUID does not imply the user being 'root.' I can change the root username to 'foo.' As long as it as a UID of 0, that implies it's SUID.

In fact, you can setup aliases to the user root, where multiple users can share UID 0.
 
Last edited:
  • #37
1,430
6
graphic7 said:
Thank you for confirming that, but the confirmation was not needed.

SUID does not imply the user being 'root.' I can change the root username to 'foo.' As long as it as a UID of 0, that implies it's SUID.

In fact, you can setup aliases to the user root, where multiple users can share UID 0.


I think anyone using a linux system knows what root login is regardless of the name, its the same thing, and everyone knows what you're reffering to.

"A rose by any other name..."
 
  • #38
175
0
And anyone who does run an executable they got from www.whoknowswhere.com as SUID deserve to get their system totalled. :tongue2:

I ran a long perl command someone gave me as root :uhh: not a good idea - tried to delete /*

or another time when rm -rf ~r[tab] just happened to delete the /root directory instead of the intended one. :frown:

aaahh.. we've all had our bad [stupid] experieneces havn't we?

.. atleast I hope it's not just me :cry:

Time to find that Windows CD, if it still exists.
 
  • #39
1,430
6
gazzo said:
And anyone who does run an executable they got from www.whoknowswhere.com as SUID deserve to get their system totalled. :tongue2:

I ran a long perl command someone gave me as root :uhh: not a good idea - tried to delete /*

or another time when rm -rf ~r[tab] just happened to delete the /root directory instead of the intended one. :frown:

aaahh.. we've all had our bad [stupid] experieneces havn't we?

.. atleast I hope it's not just me :cry:

Time to find that Windows CD, if it still exists.


Why voice control software is bad:

Office rival walking by shouts: 'rm dash rf slash enter!!!'
 

Related Threads on Can't get over how cool firefox is

  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
1K
Replies
6
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
4
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
15
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
6
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
5
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
4
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
6
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
2K
Top