Can't get over how cool firefox is

  • Thread starter gazzo
  • Start date
  • #1
175
0
Oh my gosh... I still can't get over how cool firefox is. Even coming from an old mozilla version. I had to use internet explorer on a friends laptop (forgot ma usb drive with firefox on it :mad: ) and UGH!

And the https://addons.update.mozilla.org/e...lication=firefox&version=1.0&os=Windows&id=68 is so awesome especially on physicsforums where you can instantly search a selected word in a new tab on wikipedia (or anywhere else you decide).

eek, sorry for starting to sounds like someone from marketing... but... drool.
:rofl: :rofl:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

  • #2
1,090
6
Yeah fx is great! Only bad thing is that not all sites support it, but that will hopefully change with time.
 
  • #3
1,430
6
mattmns said:
Yeah fx is great! Only bad thing is that not all sites support it, but that will hopefully change with time.


The only major one i know is microsofts website. You don't "support" a web browser, rather you add features that only work with IE.

Firefox is your friend.
 
  • #4
Kerrie
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
839
15
I like firefox too, but the pop ads still happen.
 
  • #5
1,430
6
Kerrie said:
I like firefox too, but the pop ads still happen.


i haven't had a single one since the day i installed firefox.

You probably have spyware problems, do the popups pop in an IE window? if so, thats definitely it. Spybot and Ad-aware are good programs to take care of that.
 
  • #6
591
0
Kerrie said:
I like firefox too, but the pop ads still happen.

I've seen a couple. I believe there are ways of locking things down so that you never get popups, but I get them so rarely that it just isn't worth the trouble to me.

If you're getting a lot of popups with firefox you may have the blocker diabled or have spyware on your computer. Even the popup blocker in IE stops most popups, so if you're getting a lot of popups then it's unlikely that it's a hole in the blocker.
 
  • #7
18,511
8,444
Firefox is fetch! lol

I use the ad-block, stockticker, foxforecast and webdev extensions.
 
  • #8
i dont like firefox... i don't like ie... they both always crash, they both screw up... they both add time to my online work day.
 
  • #9
1,430
6
marley.wannabee said:
i dont like firefox... i don't like ie... they both always crash, they both screw up... they both add time to my online work day.


what kind of system are you running that would make fx crash?

seriously, i have all sorts of problems with IE, but thats because its a computers equivalent of a flesh eating virus. I've never had a problem with firefox in either linux or windows. Ever.
 
  • #10
591
0
franznietzsche said:
what kind of system are you running that would make fx crash?

I've seen firefox crash on systems under a lot of cpu and memory load. It doesn't crash all the time, but it does it often enough that if you had to work with it all day then it would really be painful.
 
  • #11
Kerrie
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
839
15
I still had less problems with firefox then with ie..but since my computer crashed a few days ago, I have no internet :(
 
  • #12
18,511
8,444
master_coda said:
I've seen firefox crash on systems under a lot of cpu and memory load. It doesn't crash all the time, but it does it often enough that if you had to work with it all day then it would really be painful.

Yup, firefox isn't perfect, but it's headed in the right direction, unlike IE which hasn't been updated in 2 years.
 
  • #13
graphic7
Gold Member
450
2
master_coda said:
I've seen firefox crash on systems under a lot of cpu and memory load. It doesn't crash all the time, but it does it often enough that if you had to work with it all day then it would really be painful.

Firefox and Mozilla are fairly unstable on platforms other than Linux or Windows. I browse pretty heavily on my Solaris workstation, and I expect Firefox and Mozilla to crash once or twice in a 24-hour period. I've had a few incidents when Mozilla and Firefox, both, were in the beta stages on various platforms (IRIX and FreeBSD), but those incidents aren't worth mentioning.

I suspect some of the crashing may be the result of installing 3rd party plugins, such as Macromedia's Flash and the JavaVM plugins.

Edit: I usually have about 5-8 tabs open at a time, also. As master_coda suggested, systems under a high memory load might be subject to a crash. Most of the time, that particular workstation doesn't get over a 0.5 CPU load.
 
Last edited:
  • #14
591
0
Greg Bernhardt said:
Yup, firefox isn't perfect, but it's headed in the right direction, unlike IE which hasn't been updated in 2 years.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with that. It's a very good browser, I just wanted to point out that I have seen firefox crash repeatedly on systems that are otherwise stable. I don't think it's fair to assume that if firefox is crashing on someone then it must be due to a problem with their system and not a problem with firefox.
 
  • #15
55
0
I havent had a single crash since i upgraded to 1.0 PR. But i remember i used to have crashes pretty often when i had 0.9
Btw i dont have a single extension installed since i dont need them at all. However i have plenty of skins. ^^
 
  • #16
1,090
6
Firefox has crashed a few times, and also ie has a few times. One thing that helped stop the crashes was upgrading to all of the latests plugins. Usually firefox would crash when I tried to open a pdf or when a java ap was opened. Once I got the latests versions of acrobat and sun java this was fixed.
 
  • #17
1,430
6
mattmns said:
Firefox has crashed a few times, and also ie has a few times. One thing that helped stop the crashes was upgrading to all of the latests plugins. Usually firefox would crash when I tried to open a pdf or when a java ap was opened. Once I got the latests versions of acrobat and sun java this was fixed.


then thats not a firefox problem, thats an acrobat and java problem. Give credit where credit is due.
 
  • #18
1,090
6
franznietzsche said:
then thats not a firefox problem, thats an acrobat and java problem. Give credit where credit is due.
Well it is a firefox problem in a way, the old version worked fine on ie, but not fx.

I have no problem with fx; in fact, I only use fx and am very pleased with it, I do not even have ie installed on my system. However, just because I use fx and not ie does not mean I am going to say that fx is perfect, sorry but it is far from it.

Also, I stated those problems with fx because if they use the old acrobat and old java that could be why fx is crashing. I am not trying to bash firefox.
 
  • #19
437
1
Professional and user browser reviews usually put mozilla or firefox at the top and ie/netscape very low at the bottom.
I don't know on what quality they are based, but browser quality is surely a vague concepts.
Professionals may prefer simple browsers that are reliable, while common users may prefer ones that are overloaded with features.
 
  • #20
1,430
6
ramollari said:
Professional and user browser reviews usually put mozilla or firefox at the top and ie/netscape very low at the bottom.
I don't know on what quality they are based, but browser quality is surely a vague concepts.
Professionals may prefer simple browsers that are reliable, while common users may prefer ones that are overloaded with features.

if you call automatic software download without your consent, security loopholes that allow said downloaded software to control your hardware without your consent features, then yeah sure.

I'll never forget the look on my moms face when her IE webpage changed itself, and began opening and closing her CD-ROM on its own. Funny as hell, but still not good. And that only happens with IE. IE is a disease, really it is.
 
  • #21
437
1
franznietzsche said:
And that only happens with IE. IE is a disease, really it is.
I absolutely agree. Weird things happen with my IE, as well. Right now it has fished a toolbar about dating, and shows a file chooser popup each time I open a new browser window.

Only if I could uninstall explorer from its roots, but it is impossible. :cry: That's like a virus.
 
  • #22
1,430
6
ramollari said:
I absolutely agree. Weird things happen with my IE, as well. Right now it has fished a toolbar about dating, and shows a file chooser popup each time I open a new browser window.

Only if I could uninstall explorer from its roots, but it is impossible. :cry: That's like a virus.


It is. Windows will not let you uninstall IE, no matter how hard you try. Its like a virus.
 
  • #23
anti_crank
Science Advisor
128
0
Windows doesn't let you do many things, but this one can be worked around. Try this tool
 
  • #24
175
0
anti_crank said:
Windows doesn't let you do many things, but this one can be worked around. Try this tool

or this http://www.debian.org/ :biggrin: :biggrin:
 

Related Threads on Can't get over how cool firefox is

  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
1K
Replies
6
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
4
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
15
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
6
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
5
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
4
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
6
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
2K
Top