Can't get over how cool firefox is

In summary, the conversation discusses various opinions and experiences with using Firefox as a web browser. Some users praise its features, such as add-ons and pop-up blockers, while others mention occasional crashes or compatibility issues with certain websites. The conversation also touches on the role of third-party plugins in causing crashes and the importance of keeping them updated. Overall, there is a consensus that Firefox is a good browser, but not without its flaws.
gazzo
Oh my gosh... I still can't get over how cool firefox is. Even coming from an old mozilla version. I had to use internet explorer on a friends laptop (forgot ma usb drive with firefox on it :mad: ) and UGH!

And the https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&version=1.0&os=Windows&id=68 is so awesome especially on physicsforums where you can instantly search a selected word in a new tab on wikipedia (or anywhere else you decide).

eek, sorry for starting to sounds like someone from marketing... but... drool.
:rofl: :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Yeah fx is great! Only bad thing is that not all sites support it, but that will hopefully change with time.

mattmns said:
Yeah fx is great! Only bad thing is that not all sites support it, but that will hopefully change with time.

The only major one i know is microsofts website. You don't "support" a web browser, rather you add features that only work with IE.

Firefox is your friend.

I like firefox too, but the pop ads still happen.

Kerrie said:

i haven't had a single one since the day i installed firefox.

You probably have spyware problems, do the popups pop in an IE window? if so, that's definitely it. Spybot and Ad-aware are good programs to take care of that.

Kerrie said:

I've seen a couple. I believe there are ways of locking things down so that you never get popups, but I get them so rarely that it just isn't worth the trouble to me.

If you're getting a lot of popups with firefox you may have the blocker diabled or have spyware on your computer. Even the popup blocker in IE stops most popups, so if you're getting a lot of popups then it's unlikely that it's a hole in the blocker.

Firefox is fetch! lol

I use the ad-block, stockticker, foxforecast and webdev extensions.

i don't like firefox... i don't like ie... they both always crash, they both screw up... they both add time to my online work day.

marley.wannabee said:
i don't like firefox... i don't like ie... they both always crash, they both screw up... they both add time to my online work day.

what kind of system are you running that would make fx crash?

seriously, i have all sorts of problems with IE, but that's because its a computers equivalent of a flesh eating virus. I've never had a problem with firefox in either linux or windows. Ever.

franznietzsche said:
what kind of system are you running that would make fx crash?

I've seen firefox crash on systems under a lot of cpu and memory load. It doesn't crash all the time, but it does it often enough that if you had to work with it all day then it would really be painful.

I still had less problems with firefox then with ie..but since my computer crashed a few days ago, I have no internet :(

master_coda said:
I've seen firefox crash on systems under a lot of cpu and memory load. It doesn't crash all the time, but it does it often enough that if you had to work with it all day then it would really be painful.

Yup, firefox isn't perfect, but it's headed in the right direction, unlike IE which hasn't been updated in 2 years.

master_coda said:

Firefox and Mozilla are fairly unstable on platforms other than Linux or Windows. I browse pretty heavily on my Solaris workstation, and I expect Firefox and Mozilla to crash once or twice in a 24-hour period. I've had a few incidents when Mozilla and Firefox, both, were in the beta stages on various platforms (IRIX and FreeBSD), but those incidents aren't worth mentioning.

I suspect some of the crashing may be the result of installing 3rd party plugins, such as Macromedia's Flash and the JavaVM plugins.

Edit: I usually have about 5-8 tabs open at a time, also. As master_coda suggested, systems under a high memory load might be subject to a crash. Most of the time, that particular workstation doesn't get over a 0.5 CPU load.

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
Yup, firefox isn't perfect, but it's headed in the right direction, unlike IE which hasn't been updated in 2 years.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with that. It's a very good browser, I just wanted to point out that I have seen firefox crash repeatedly on systems that are otherwise stable. I don't think it's fair to assume that if firefox is crashing on someone then it must be due to a problem with their system and not a problem with firefox.

I haven't had a single crash since i upgraded to 1.0 PR. But i remember i used to have crashes pretty often when i had 0.9
Btw i don't have a single extension installed since i don't need them at all. However i have plenty of skins. ^^

Firefox has crashed a few times, and also ie has a few times. One thing that helped stop the crashes was upgrading to all of the latests plugins. Usually firefox would crash when I tried to open a pdf or when a java ap was opened. Once I got the latests versions of acrobat and sun java this was fixed.

mattmns said:
Firefox has crashed a few times, and also ie has a few times. One thing that helped stop the crashes was upgrading to all of the latests plugins. Usually firefox would crash when I tried to open a pdf or when a java ap was opened. Once I got the latests versions of acrobat and sun java this was fixed.

then that's not a firefox problem, that's an acrobat and java problem. Give credit where credit is due.

franznietzsche said:
then that's not a firefox problem, that's an acrobat and java problem. Give credit where credit is due.
Well it is a firefox problem in a way, the old version worked fine on ie, but not fx.

I have no problem with fx; in fact, I only use fx and am very pleased with it, I do not even have ie installed on my system. However, just because I use fx and not ie does not mean I am going to say that fx is perfect, sorry but it is far from it.

Also, I stated those problems with fx because if they use the old acrobat and old java that could be why fx is crashing. I am not trying to bash firefox.

Professional and user browser reviews usually put mozilla or firefox at the top and ie/netscape very low at the bottom.
I don't know on what quality they are based, but browser quality is surely a vague concepts.
Professionals may prefer simple browsers that are reliable, while common users may prefer ones that are overloaded with features.

ramollari said:
Professional and user browser reviews usually put mozilla or firefox at the top and ie/netscape very low at the bottom.
I don't know on what quality they are based, but browser quality is surely a vague concepts.
Professionals may prefer simple browsers that are reliable, while common users may prefer ones that are overloaded with features.

if you call automatic software download without your consent, security loopholes that allow said downloaded software to control your hardware without your consent features, then yeah sure.

I'll never forget the look on my moms face when her IE webpage changed itself, and began opening and closing her CD-ROM on its own. Funny as hell, but still not good. And that only happens with IE. IE is a disease, really it is.

franznietzsche said:
And that only happens with IE. IE is a disease, really it is.
I absolutely agree. Weird things happen with my IE, as well. Right now it has fished a toolbar about dating, and shows a file chooser popup each time I open a new browser window.

Only if I could uninstall explorer from its roots, but it is impossible. :cry: That's like a virus.

ramollari said:
I absolutely agree. Weird things happen with my IE, as well. Right now it has fished a toolbar about dating, and shows a file chooser popup each time I open a new browser window.

Only if I could uninstall explorer from its roots, but it is impossible. :cry: That's like a virus.

It is. Windows will not let you uninstall IE, no matter how hard you try. Its like a virus.

Windows doesn't let you do many things, but this one can be worked around. Try this tool

anti_crank said:
Windows doesn't let you do many things, but this one can be worked around. Try this tool

or this http://www.debian.org/ :biggrin: :biggrin:

Hey, now don't go thinking GNU/Linux can't run viruses: http://os.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/01/25/1430222&from=rss

:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
rofl that is hilarious

"When I went out of my way to be part of the Windows community by doing my part to propagate Windows viruses (lots of Windows users seem to think this is important, seeing as how they run random executables and use Microsoft Outlook and Internet Explorer) "

I tip my hat to the creators of the SomeFool virus, for actually (albeit temporarily and minimally) affecting my Linux experience. However, if that's the most damage I can get by running viruses with Wine under a dummy account, then it's clear that the Wine developers have a long way to go before Wine is truly Windows compatible.

hehe.

Have any of you actually been infected with a linux virus ? Isn't there a few lurking around? :confused:

gazzo said:
hehe.

Have any of you actually been infected with a linux virus ? Isn't there a few lurking around? :confused:

Linux systems typically do not get infected by viruses, however, I'm sure there are a few. Usually, it's a combination of kernel and networking services (likely OpenSSH or various FTP daemons) that lead to a Linux system being compromised.

I use firefox exclusively on my Fedora box. However, my favorite web browser is Safari. Just waiting for the RSS version.

Just curious, when I used windows briefly, I was led to believe that IE was linked with the OS shell explorer. This made it impossible, virtually, to uninstall. I only used windows for a little while though so I am probably wrong. Can someone elaborate on that?

ELIZAeffect said:
I use firefox exclusively on my Fedora box. However, my favorite web browser is Safari. Just waiting for the RSS version.

Just curious, when I used windows briefly, I was led to believe that IE was linked with the OS shell explorer. This made it impossible, virtually, to uninstall. I only used windows for a little while though so I am probably wrong. Can someone elaborate on that?

Yes, that's correct - IE is pretty much Windows Explorer. I know they have separate executables, but IE is basically a superset of Windows Explorer. Because of this, IE usually has very fast start-up times, compared to Firefox or Mozilla. Firefox and Mozilla, both, have improved their start-up times, and are nearly comparable with IE's times.

gazzo said:
hehe.

Linux viruses are rare, and generally not an issue because they can't do any damage without access to the root directory, which means generally you'd have to run them logged in as root.

franznietzsche said:
Linux viruses are rare, and generally not an issue because they can't do any damage without access to the root directory, which means generally you'd have to run them logged in as root.

If the executable is ran SUID, it can do damage to the root directory.

graphic7 said:
If the executable is ran SUID, it can do damage to the root directory.

i would consider super user and root login the same, but yes.