1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitance and Other Traits of a Coaxial Cylinder

1. Apr 1, 2012 #1
    This is for an electromagnetic theory class.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prompt can be seen here

2. Relevant equations

J = I/A, J = σE, V = Ed, C = εA/d

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm having trouble mostly with parts i and ii, as the rest are fairly simple to acquire after figuring out those two. Here's what I have so far:

A = (b-a)L
    J = I/((b-a)L)
    dE = (I/((b-a)L))d∅ (Here I'm honestly not sure what to integrate with, however my best guess is d∅, so after integrating nothing changes)
    E = V/d
    I = (Vσ(b-a)L)/((π/2)r)

At this point I'm not sure if that is the total current, or just a segment of current that needs to be integrated. Hence I don't know what to do with r.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2012 #2

K^2

Science Advisor

Current density in steady state is just J=σE, and you should have no trouble computing E based on the fact that E=-∇V and the form they give you. Note that this part of the problem doesn't depend on ε at all. It's only when you get to surface charges that it will matter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook