Capacitance with dielectric permittivity that depends on r

In summary: So, the equation ##C = \epsilon_r C_{vac}## does not actually tell us anything about ##C## or ##C_{vac}##.
leo_africanus
Homework Statement
We have a capacitor that is made of two concentric conducting spherical shells having radii a and b (b > a). The region between the spheres is filled with a dielectric material which has permittivity $$\epsilon = \frac{k}{r^2}$$

Charge +Q is placed on the inner sphere, while charge -Q is placed on the outer one. We're asked to find the capacitance of the configuration.
Relevant Equations
$$ C = \frac{Q}{V} $$
$$ C = \epsilon_r C_{vac} $$
$$ V = - \int E \cdot d\ell$$
$$ D = \epsilon_0 E + P = \epsilon E $$
The first part (which I believe I've done correctly) asks us to find the electric displacement everywhere. For this:

$$\int D \cdot da = Q_{f,enc}$$

For a < r < b: $$D = \frac{Q}{4\pi r^2} \hat{r}$$

Otherwise, D = 0

When finding the capacitance, I'm unsure how to handle the r dependence. I tried two approaches that both yield correct units, but I'm not sure which I believe ( if either ).

1st Attempt: Going the route I've found suggested online, I tried computing the electric field without dielectric present, the corresponding capacitance, and then using $$ C = \epsilon_r C_{vac} = \frac{\epsilon}{\epsilon_0} C_{vac}$$ This yields:

$$ E_{vac} = \frac{Q}{4\pi \epsilon_0 r^2} \hat{r} $$

$$ V_{vac} = \frac{Q}{4\pi \epsilon_0}(\frac{1}{a} - \frac{1}{b}) $$

$$ C_{vac} = 4\pi \epsilon_0 \frac{ab}{b-a}$$

Which gives: $$C = \frac{4\pi k}{r^2} \frac{ab}{b-a} $$

But I'm not sure what a capacitance with lingering radial dependence would mean.

2nd Attempt: Here I just tried computing E in the presence of the dielectric, and then finding V from there, and using C = Q/V. We get:

$$ E = \frac{1}{\epsilon} D = \frac{Q}{4\pi k} \hat{r} $$
$$ V = \frac{Q}{4\pi k} (b-a) $$

Which gives:
$$ C = \frac{4\pi k}{b-a} $$

Is either of these approaches along the right track? They give the same result for a "simpler" permittivity like $$ \epsilon = k \epsilon_0$$ The second approach eliminates the presence of r, but seems inconsistent with approaches I've found online and in text when using dielectric constants that lack r dependence. The first approach matches the second one if I multiply V by the r^2 term before integrating -- which may be the mistake in the first approach. I couldn't find any examples where permittivity has position dependence as here. Any insights are much appreciated! Thanks!

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
The 2nd attempt looks correct to me.

The 1st method doesn't work since it is based on using ## C = \epsilon_r C_{vac} ##, which is not valid when ##\epsilon_r## varies with position inside the dielectric. ##C## and ##C_{vac}## are just certain numbers (with units). So, the equation ##C = \epsilon_r C_{vac}## implies that ##\epsilon_r## is just a number. But ##\epsilon_r## is a function of ##r## in this problem.

1. What is capacitance with dielectric permittivity that depends on r?

Capacitance with dielectric permittivity that depends on r is a measure of the ability of a material to store electric charge. It takes into account the distance between two conductors, or plates, and the permittivity of the material between them, which can vary depending on the value of r.

2. How does capacitance change with the value of r?

The capacitance of a system with dielectric permittivity that depends on r increases as the value of r increases. This is because a larger value of r means a larger distance between the conductors, which allows for more charge to be stored in the material between them.

3. What is the role of the dielectric material in capacitance with dielectric permittivity that depends on r?

The dielectric material plays a crucial role in capacitance with dielectric permittivity that depends on r. It acts as an insulator between the conductors, increasing the capacitance by reducing the electric field and allowing for more charge to be stored.

4. How does the type of dielectric material affect capacitance with dielectric permittivity that depends on r?

The type of dielectric material used can greatly affect the capacitance with dielectric permittivity that depends on r. Different materials have different permittivity values, which can impact the amount of charge that can be stored between the conductors.

5. What are some real-world applications of capacitance with dielectric permittivity that depends on r?

Capacitance with dielectric permittivity that depends on r has many practical applications, such as in electronic circuits, energy storage devices, and capacitive sensors. It is also used in the design of high-voltage equipment and in the production of capacitors for various industries.