1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitor Fringe Field Strength on Axis

1. Oct 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the transformation

[itex]w = e^{z} + z[/itex]

maps the infinite lines [itex]y = \pm\pi[/itex] into semi-infinite lines [itex]u \leq u_{0}, v = \pm\pi[/itex]. This is equivalent to transforming an infinite or edgeless parallel-plate capacitor (z-plane) into a parallel plate capacitor (w-plane). Sketch the equipotentials in the w-plane near the edge of the capacitor plates.

Find the electric field at the plane midway between the two plates (at v = 0) as a function of u.

2. Relevant equations

I found parametric equations for the equipotentials:

[itex] u = x + cos(\frac{\pi*V}{V_{0}})*e^{x}[/itex]
    [itex] v = \frac{\pi*V}{V_{0}} + sin(\frac{\pi*V}{V_{0}})*e^{x}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

But I don't know how to find the electric field as a function of u along the axis. If I had an expression for V I would simply take the gradient, but buried as it is inside these parametric equations, I don't know how to get at it. I managed to elimnate x:

[itex] x = ln(\frac{v-\pi*V/V_{0}}{sin(\frac{\pi*V}{V_{0}})})[/itex]

But I'm not sure how to proceed from there.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2013 #2
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm stuck. However, I'm convinced that my parametric equations are correct, so its just a matter of how to go to the electric field from there. Since V is constant on the u-plane, I only need to take the partial derivative of V with respect to the vertical coordinate v (unfortunate choice of letters, I should have changed that). But I don't know how to take a partial derivative when the potential V is buried inside these parametric equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted