Capacitor - Least squares fitting

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab assignment involving the calculation of ε_r in a parallel plate capacitor. The individuals are struggling to understand how to use the least squares-method to find ε_r and are given an example using specific values for d and C. They discuss the use of linear regression and determining the slope and y-intercept. The conversation also mentions the equation C=ε0εrA/d and prompts the individual to consider the theoretical values for k and m.
Woozah

Homework Statement

We had a laboration for calculating ε_r in a parallel plate capacitor which we stuffed with plastic plates. All data we picked up was the area A, the distance d (and thus 1/d) and the capacitance C. We are now supposed to use the least squares-method to find ε_r, something we have never done before. She sent us a pdf regarding the least-squares but I am having it extremt hard understanding how to use it.

In an example (an example, so we can check our MATLAB code before using our own data) she has put d=2mm,4mm,6mm,8mm,10mm and C=353pF, 197pF, 141pF, 112pF, 97pF. She now states that using a linear regression you should get k=644pFmm and m=32pF.

Homework Equations

C=ε0εrA/d

The Attempt at a Solution

What I don't understand is that if we want to try and find a linear fitting, what will i put as (k) (x) and m?
Since C=ε0εrA/d, I am assuming that my x will be 1/d and k is ε0εr, or am I wrong? No idea how to do this. They had forgotten that we were in the class and had not taken the course in which you learn this. :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Yes, your x values will be 1/d. Your y values will be C. So, if you plotted your data with x-axis horizontal and y-axis vertical, your data points would be of the form (x, y) = (1/d, C). The least-squares fit will produce the best straight line that fits the data. This line will have a slope k and a y-intercept m. (Apparently your class is using "k" for the slope and "m" for the y-intercept. In algebra classes, you usually use "m" for the slope of a line. Oh, well.)

According to your equation C = ε0εrA/d, what should be the "theoretical" values for k and m? Hint: Replace C by y and 1/d by x.

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical charge. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, also known as a dielectric.

2. How does a capacitor work?

A capacitor works by accumulating and storing electrical charge on its plates. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged. This creates an electric field between the plates, allowing the capacitor to store energy.

3. What is the purpose of least squares fitting in relation to capacitors?

Least squares fitting is a mathematical technique used to find the best fit line or curve for a set of data points. In the context of capacitors, least squares fitting can be used to determine the relationship between voltage and charge on a capacitor, allowing for more accurate predictions of its behavior.

4. How is least squares fitting used to calculate the capacitance of a capacitor?

To calculate the capacitance of a capacitor using least squares fitting, a set of data points for voltage and charge is collected. The data is then plotted on a graph and a line of best fit is drawn using the least squares method. The slope of this line represents the capacitance of the capacitor.

5. Can least squares fitting be used to analyze non-linear relationships between voltage and charge?

Yes, least squares fitting can be used to analyze non-linear relationships between voltage and charge on a capacitor. In these cases, a non-linear curve can be fitted to the data points, allowing for more accurate calculations of the capacitance.