Least squares method for cloud of atom

In summary, the conversation discusses using the least squares method to find the temperature and initial size of a cold cloud of atoms after turning off a magnetic-optic pit. The formula for the size of the cloud is given and the values for the Boltzmann constant and mass are provided. The process of calculating the values for the least squares method is explained and the question is raised about determining the accuracy of the solution. Suggestions are given for using Excel or a calculator and millimeter paper to plot the data points and see how well they fit the calculated line. The purpose of using the least squares method is to minimize the error and find the best fit for the data.
diracdelta

Homework Statement

After turnig of magnetic-optic pit, cold cloud of atom 87 Rb is expanding. Size of cloud after time t, is given with relation:
ma_%7B0%7D%5E%7B2%7D%20+%20%5Cfrac%7Bk_%7BB%7D%5Ccdot%20T%7D%7Bm%7D%5Ccdot%20t%5E%7B2%7D%7D.gif

where, k_B is Boltzman constant, m mass of 87 Rb.
Draw a plot, then use least squares method to find temperature T, and initial size of cloud sigma_0, for next results of measurement.
t(ms)
sigma(mm)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am familiar with least squares method. What I don't understand in this problem is next.
First of i must get this formulae to some linear shape ( regrression).
So, ok, firstly we square the whole equation.
I get next.

ma_%7B0%7D%5E%7B2%7D%20+%20%5Cfrac%7Bk_%7BB%7D%5Ccdot%20T%7D%7Bm%7D%5Ccdot%20t%5E%7B2%7D%7D.gif

now, on to assigning values to get form like y=ax+b, its obvius,
y= sigma^2
b=sigma_0^2
x=t^2
x= (k_B * T)/m

and now, to use least square methd, i must calculate, x,y,xy,x^2,y^2, and sum of them all.
my question here is next:

This member boltzman constant/m. What should i do with it?
Shuld i calculate it and continue to multiply numbers with it whole process?
Or just write results like 0.157746 * ( K-b/m) and in the end multiply a with it?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are given a series of data points you can use the squares method. You will find the constants that define your line: a and b. Since ##a = \frac {k_b T }{m} ## you can simply get T out of it, using the known values for the Boltzmann constant and the mass.

You mean ##a=\frac{k_B T}{m}##, right?
I'm not sure what your question is. The least squares method will give you a value for a, which you can then multiply by ##\frac m{k_B}## to get T. What else would you do?

Ok. I see that. THank you for answer.
What bothers me is how to know when that solution is good? I.e. i get a=0.01785
How do i recognize it is acceptable, and it fits the formulae.

Try plotting the values (in Excel, Matlab or whatever) and see if the slope of the line agrees with what you got.

diracdelta said:
Ok. I see that. THank you for answer.
What bothers me is how to know when that solution is good? I.e. i get a=0.01785
How do i recognize it is acceptable, and it fits the formulae.
That I can't help with. Does it give a reasonable T?

OK, I will do it in excel now.
Reason why I'm asking you this is because i have midterm where i must know least square method, and i want to know if i do it right there.
Because using only calculator and milimeter paper..
THanks for reply guys. I really appreciate it.

If you have the millimeter paper you can still draw your line and see how much it "fits" the existing points. It won't pass over every one of them, because there's always a certain error, but the point of this method is that this error (or rather, its square) will be minimal (hence "least squares")

1. What is the least squares method for a cloud of atoms?

The least squares method is a mathematical technique used to find the best fit line or curve for a set of data points. In the context of a cloud of atoms, it can be used to determine the most likely position and velocity of the atoms based on experimental measurements.

2. How does the least squares method work?

The least squares method minimizes the sum of the squared differences between the predicted values and the actual values of the data points. It does this by calculating the slope and intercept of the best fit line or curve using a formula that takes into account all of the data points.

3. What are the advantages of using the least squares method for a cloud of atoms?

The least squares method is a widely used and accepted technique for data analysis in various fields. It provides a simple and efficient way to determine the most likely position and velocity of a cloud of atoms, and can be easily implemented with computer software. It also allows for the incorporation of measurement errors, making the results more accurate.

4. Are there any limitations to using the least squares method for a cloud of atoms?

The least squares method assumes that the data follows a linear relationship, which may not always be the case for a cloud of atoms. It also requires a large number of data points to accurately determine the best fit line or curve, which may be challenging to obtain in certain experiments.

5. How is the least squares method used in the field of atomic physics?

The least squares method is commonly used in atomic physics to analyze data from experiments involving clouds of atoms. It can be used to determine the position and velocity of atoms in a cloud, as well as to study their interactions and behavior. It is also used to calibrate and improve experimental techniques in the field of atomic physics.