1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitor Problem involving a slab of Copper between a Capacitor

1. Feb 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A slab of copper of thickness b = 1.370 mm is thrust into a parallel-plate capacitor of C = 9.00×10-11 F of gap d = 10.0 mm, as shown in the figure; it is centered exactly halfway between the plates.

If a charge q = 1.00×10-6 C is maintained on the plates, what is the ratio of the stored energy before to that after the slab is inserted?

I already know how to solve this problem. I just have a question about one of the steps. You need to find capacitance equivalent of c1 and c2 and since area and distance are the same, c1=c2. You end up with

C equivalent= c1/2

Now c1= (epsilon nought * Area)/ distance

so you just plug this in

Why do I only get the right answer when the distance is d-b? If you are just referring to c1, shouldn't it be half of d-b? Why use the combined distance of capacitor 1 and 2?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2012 #2
    Nevermind, I figured it out. I had to half d-b just like I thought. For some reason I unknowingly halved d-b and got the right answer and confused myself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook