Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Captured the aftermath of an accident

1. Jun 20, 2006 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

http://www.snopes.com/photos/accident/hoecrash.asp
    (Edit: replaced url to images with url to webpage.)

(Edit: removed faulty url)

And you probably thought engineers don't have a sense of humor. :biggrin:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2006 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't get any of your links to work. Can you check them please?

4. Jun 20, 2006 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Likewise. 'Page Cannot Be Displayed'

5. Jun 20, 2006 #4

Astronuc

Sorry 'bout the links. I guess they don't allow direct access to the images. The snopes site has those annoying popups.

I put the url to the page with the article and images.

6. Jun 20, 2006 #5

Danger

Gold Member

That was worth waiting for. What a bonehead... :biggrin:

7. Jun 20, 2006 #6
    Wow, that's amazing it could penetrate that far into the bridge without simply breaking off the boom. That's solid concrete and steel its going through. It almost cut through the bridge, that thing must be under an unacceptable amount of stress in that section.

8. Jun 20, 2006 #7

wolram

Gold Member

I think any thing would be under a great deal of stress with a thumping great track hoe charging towards it.:smile:

9. Jun 21, 2006 #8

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I've seen big trucks wedged under overpasses (especially on the parkways on Long Island) but I have never seen something do that much damage.

Brewnog might have to show that around at work and they could have a new competative benchmark for Cat's backhoes.

10. Jun 21, 2006 #9

Astronuc

Many years ago, I came across a vessel on a flat bed that had just impacted an overpass. The road was bumpy enough, I suspect that the trailer and its load (the vessel) must have bounced and hit the bridge (there clearance was too low, and the driver should have been driving slower). Anyway, several of the bridges beams buckled.

A car, which was following closely behind the trailer, hit the rear left corner of the trailer, because the driver could not respond fast enough to avoid it, when it came to an abupt stop under the bridge.

11. Jun 21, 2006 #10

matthyaouw

Gold Member

The arm is sticking up a good 10ft through the roadway but the barrier is unharmed... Wonder how that happened :confused:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?