Captured the aftermath of an accident

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Accident
In summary, the driver of a semi-tractor trailer that was hauling a track hoe excavator on a flatbed misestimated the clearance at an overpass, and the boom of the hoe collided with the overpass and knocked a 45-foot gap through the deck of the bridge. The accident forced an 11-day closure of the eastbound lanes of Interstate 70.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
http://www.snopes.com/photos/accident/hoecrash.asp
(Edit: replaced url to images with url to webpage.)

The photographs displayed above capture the aftermath of an accident that occurred on the evening of 13 February 2006 on Interstate 70 near Hays, Kansas. The driver of a semi-tractor trailer that was hauling a track hoe excavator on a flatbed misestimated the clearance at an overpass, and the boom of the hoe collided with the overpass and knocked a 45-foot gap through the deck of the bridge. The accident forced an 11-day closure of the eastbound lanes of Interstate 70. (The bridge itself remained closed even after the highway reopened.)

The driver of the rig was uninjured, although he was later cited for not having clearance to drive on the interstate. The Kansas Department of Transportation said the construction company for which the driver worked would be liable for the cost of repairs to the overpass, which were estimated at $134,000 as of late March 2006.

(Edit: removed faulty url)

A hoe weighing 8 tons is on top of a flatbed trailer and heading east on Interstate 70 near Hays, Kansas. The extended shovel arm is made of hardened refined steel and the approaching overpass is made of commercial-grade concrete, reinforced with 1 1/2 inch steel rebar spaced at 6 inch intervals in a criss-cross pattern layered at 1 foot vertical spacing.

Solve: When the shovel arm hits the overpass, how fast do you have to be going to slice the bridge in half? (Assume no effect for headwind and no braking by the driver.)

Extra Credit: Solve for the time and distance required for the entire rig to come to a complete stop after hitting the overpass at the speed calculated above.

And you probably thought engineers don't have a sense of humor. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't get any of your links to work. Can you check them please?

Likewise. 'Page Cannot Be Displayed'

Sorry 'bout the links. I guess they don't allow direct access to the images. The snopes site has those annoying popups.

I put the url to the page with the article and images.

That was worth waiting for. What a bonehead... :biggrin:

Wow, that's amazing it could penetrate that far into the bridge without simply breaking off the boom. That's solid concrete and steel its going through. It almost cut through the bridge, that thing must be under an unacceptable amount of stress in that section.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Wow, that's amazing it could penetrate that far into the bridge without simply breaking off the boom. That's solid concrete and steel its going through. It almost cut through the bridge, that thing must be under an unacceptable amount of stress in that section.

I think any thing would be under a great deal of stress with a thumping great track hoe charging towards it.:smile:

I've seen big trucks wedged under overpasses (especially on the parkways on Long Island) but I have never seen something do that much damage.

Brewnog might have to show that around at work and they could have a new competative benchmark for Cat's backhoes.

Many years ago, I came across a vessel on a flat bed that had just impacted an overpass. The road was bumpy enough, I suspect that the trailer and its load (the vessel) must have bounced and hit the bridge (there clearance was too low, and the driver should have been driving slower). Anyway, several of the bridges beams buckled.

A car, which was following closely behind the trailer, hit the rear left corner of the trailer, because the driver could not respond fast enough to avoid it, when it came to an abupt stop under the bridge.

The arm is sticking up a good 10ft through the roadway but the barrier is unharmed... Wonder how that happened :confused:

1. What is the purpose of capturing the aftermath of an accident?

The purpose of capturing the aftermath of an accident is to document the damage and gather evidence for investigation and potential legal proceedings.

2. How do you capture the aftermath of an accident?

The most common method is to take photographs of the scene from multiple angles to capture the extent of the damage and any potential factors that may have contributed to the accident. Alternatively, you can also use video recordings to capture a more detailed view of the aftermath.

3. What should be included in the photos or videos of the aftermath?

The photos or videos should include the surrounding area, any damaged vehicles or objects, and any injuries or physical evidence present. It is also important to take note of the date, time, and location of the accident.

4. Who should be responsible for capturing the aftermath of an accident?

In most cases, the authorities such as the police or emergency response teams will be responsible for capturing the aftermath of an accident. However, individuals involved in the accident may also take their own photos or videos for personal records.

5. What can be done with the footage or photos of the aftermath?

The footage or photos can be used as evidence in legal proceedings, insurance claims, or for further investigation by authorities. They can also be used to determine the cause of the accident and potentially prevent similar incidents in the future.

Back