Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Carbon Brushes are Graphite right?

1. Dec 6, 2012 #1
    Carbon Brushes are Graphite ... right???

I was wondering if the carbon brushes are graphite? and if yes how pure?
    These days I am in Sri Lanka and can't find any seller offering pure graphite tubes, to be used as a heating element.

So I though what if.... I could use these carbon brushes instead as a cheap & fast alternative until I get one from abroad... lol

It's not a cleaver thought but any chance it could work???!!!

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2012 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Re: Carbon Brushes are Graphite ... right???

What resistance do you need? By design, brushes are short and fat and have as low a resistance as possible. A heating element needs to have high enough resistance to dissipate the power you require.- hence, long and thin (ish).

4. Dec 8, 2012 #3

Brushes are not pure graphite, by a long way - They are a mixture of carbon, graphite and a collection of binders to "glue" them together. They are baked (sintered) during manufacture. When they are running inside a motor, some of those other chemicals are liberated and act as a lubricant between the brush and the commutator....... one of those lubricants, I believe, is plain old water.

5. Dec 8, 2012 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

6. Dec 10, 2012 #5

I wonder if a thick pencil core would work?

7. Dec 11, 2012 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Yes, in principle - I have done it. You need to specify how much power you want and what your operating voltage will be before you can expect a quantitative answer but you can definitely get a pencil lead too hot to touch!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?