Carbon Brushes are Graphite ... right?

1. Carbon Brushes are Graphite ... right???

I was wondering if the carbon brushes are graphite? and if yes how pure?
    These days I am in Sri Lanka and can't find any seller offering pure graphite tubes, to be used as a heating element.

So I though what if.... I could use these carbon brushes instead as a cheap & fast alternative until I get one from abroad... lol

It's not a cleaver thought but any chance it could work???!!!

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. sophiecentaur

sophiecentaur 13,286
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Carbon Brushes are Graphite ... right???

What resistance do you need? By design, brushes are short and fat and have as low a resistance as possible. A heating element needs to have high enough resistance to dissipate the power you require.- hence, long and thin (ish).

4. Re: Carbon Brushes are Graphite ... right???

Brushes are not pure graphite, by a long way - They are a mixture of carbon, graphite and a collection of binders to "glue" them together. They are baked (sintered) during manufacture. When they are running inside a motor, some of those other chemicals are liberated and act as a lubricant between the brush and the commutator....... one of those lubricants, I believe, is plain old water.

5. sophiecentaur

sophiecentaur 13,286
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Re: Carbon Brushes are Graphite ... right???

I wonder if a thick pencil core would work?

7. sophiecentaur

sophiecentaur 13,286
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Carbon Brushes are Graphite ... right???

Yes, in principle - I have done it. You need to specify how much power you want and what your operating voltage will be before you can expect a quantitative answer but you can definitely get a pencil lead too hot to touch!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook