Carbon sample of a saber tooth tiger decay

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of radioactive decay to determine the age of a saber tooth tiger's bone. By comparing the emissions of a carbon sample taken from the ancient bone to that of a fresh bone, it is determined that the ancient bone is approximately 91,680 years old. However, this calculation is incorrect as it does not take into account the half-life of carbon. The correct approach is to determine the number of half-lives that have passed since the tiger's death, which can be done by dividing the activity of the fresh bone by half until it matches the activity of the ancient bone. This method reveals that the saber tooth tiger lived approximately 4 half-lives of carbon ago.
graphicer89

Homework Statement

A carbon sample taken from the bone of a saber tooth tiger emits 1 beta emission a minute. A carbon sample of the same size taken from a frest piece of bone emits 16 beta emissions a minute. How long ago did the saber tooth tiger live? How can i do this?

Homework Equations

Are there any equations for this?

The Attempt at a Solution

Well i don't even know where to start honestly...Please at least start me off the right path..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Radioactive decay occurs exponentially. I imagine you must have some information about it in your notes or something, if you are being asked about it?

cepheid said:
Radioactive decay occurs exponentially. I imagine you must have some information about it in your notes or something, if you are being asked about it?

Well honestly I thought so too but no I don't have anything

graphicer89 said:
Well honestly I thought so too but no I don't have anything

Try reading up on half-life & radioactive decay in your textbook or on the Internet. After you've done that...

Radioactive decay is a truly random process; no scientist/sage/god/whatever can predict when a given atom will decay. That means that in one second, the number of atoms that decay is proportional only to the amount of radioactive material left. So the ancient tiger tooth in your question contains 1/16 the mass of C-14 in a still-living tiger's tooth. There's a reason that 16 is precisely 2^4...

ideasrule said:
Try reading up on half-life & radioactive decay in your textbook or on the Internet. After you've done that...

Radioactive decay is a truly random process; no scientist/sage/god/whatever can predict when a given atom will decay. That means that in one second, the number of atoms that decay is proportional only to the amount of radioactive material left. So the ancient tiger tooth in your question contains 1/16 the mass of C-14 in a still-living tiger's tooth. There's a reason that 16 is precisely 2^4...

Ok so right now i know that half life is 5730 years...and I am trying to figure out the 1/16 the saber tooth lived compared to the recent new one...So i think this is basically a math problem but i have no idea where to start...please help me out..i really want to learn but after reviewing what i was given as a guide..this is all i came up with...

What i got was that i multiply...16 x 5730 years...= 91,680 years ago...how does that sound?

graphicer89 said:
What i got was that i multiply...16 x 5730 years...= 91,680 years ago...how does that sound?

Not right. Consider the fresh piece of bone that emits 16 betas a minute.

In how many years will it emit 8 betas a minute? Hint: 8 is half of 16.
In how many years will it emit 4 betas a minute?
In how many years will it emit 2 betas a minute?
In how many years will it emit 1 beta a minute?

Note that when the tiger died, all its bones were "fresh."

In one half life, the activity decreases to half.
In four half life, the activity decreases to 1/16.
So the age of the tooth is 4xhalf life of carbon.

1. What is a carbon sample of a saber tooth tiger decay?

A carbon sample of a saber tooth tiger decay refers to a small piece of organic material from the remains of a saber tooth tiger that has undergone the process of decay. This decay results in the breakdown of organic matter into simpler compounds, including carbon.

2. How is a carbon sample of a saber tooth tiger decay used in scientific research?

A carbon sample of a saber tooth tiger decay can be used in various scientific fields such as paleontology, archaeology, and biology. It can provide information about the age, diet, and environment of the saber tooth tiger, as well as the conditions under which it lived and died.

3. How is the carbon sample of a saber tooth tiger decay extracted?

The extraction of a carbon sample of a saber tooth tiger decay typically involves carefully removing a small piece of the organic material from the remains. This can be done using tools such as scalpels or drills, and the sample is then carefully preserved for further analysis.

4. What techniques are used to analyze a carbon sample of a saber tooth tiger decay?

Scientists use various techniques to analyze a carbon sample of a saber tooth tiger decay, including radiocarbon dating, stable isotope analysis, and DNA analysis. These techniques can provide information about the age, diet, and genetic makeup of the saber tooth tiger.

5. Why is it important to study the carbon sample of a saber tooth tiger decay?

Studying the carbon sample of a saber tooth tiger decay can help us better understand the history and evolution of these ancient creatures. It can also provide insights into the past climate and environment, as well as the interactions between species during that time period.