Cardinality and Natural Numbers

In summary, the conversation discussed a method for converting decimal numbers to natural numbers by assigning the digits after the decimal point to a sequence of natural numbers. However, this method only works for finite numbers of digits and cannot handle non-terminating decimals. The group also discussed the difference between the cardinality of the rational numbers and the real numbers, and how the diagonal argument illustrates the infinite nature of the real numbers.
cyclogon
Hi,
I hoping someone might be kind enough to possibly tell me where I have made an error :)
I'm more of a recreational maths person, lol - and I'm trying to make a scheme that 'maps' any decimal number to a natural one.
The method I have come up with is a bit odd, I'm hoping it works but still trying make sure :)
It produces a long natural number based on the position and value of the decimal
eg:
If you take any decimal, say, 0.3189
You can make it into a natural number 3108009000

0.71 becomes 710

0.2291865 would be 2209001000800006000005000000

So any decimal, in theory, following that pattern - has a natural number equivalent?

Tenths become 10s, hundreths become 100s etc, and I just put the numbers in sequence.

If anyone finds this remotely interesting, I would appreciate any suggestions
Many thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
cyclogon said:
So any decimal, in theory, following that pattern - has a natural number equivalent?
Only those decimals with a finite number of digits. And yes, these are equally many as the natural numbers.

Likes cyclogon
thanks for the response :)

Ahh, so it only works for 'finite' numbers of digits...
I was hoping it might work for any amount, ie endless numbers lol

Thanks again for the help :)
Regards

cyclogon said:

Regards

It can't work for a non-terminating decimal, because every natural number has a finite number of digits. For example:

##3.1415926 \dots## is the decimal expansion for ##\pi##.

But:

##31415926 \dots## is not a natural number.

In your system, how would you handle numbers like ##0.01, 0.10203## etc?

Likes cyclogon
cyclogon said:

Regards
The rational numbers and the natural numbers have the same cardinality, also finite many copies of them. To show why the real numbers are more, there is a famous "diagonal argument": Assume you have written down all real numbers in decimal form and numbered them. If you then change the diagonal digits, e.g. add one and change nine to zero, that is changing the first digit of the first real, the second digit of the second real, the third digit of third real and so on, then you get a new number built from these changed diagonal digits that you haven't numbered. Thus the reals are larger than the natural numbers.

Likes cyclogon and WWGD
Thanks for your replies so far :)
Sorry for responding sooner

I'll be honest and say I have hard time with the first bit of the argument, "written down all real numbers in decimal form and numbered them".
I just can't get my head around that, personally - So I guess that's my failing, that's where I'm going wrong :)

+PeroK - As for 0.01, for example, I flip the digits after the decimal point, so it would be "10" in natural numbers
0.001 would be 100. And for 0.10203, a bit of a cheat... but I'd have 1,200 and 30000 --> 120030000 - I guess :)

Don't know about "PI", hehe - I'd have to leave the 3 'whole' numbers for now and just go:
0.31415926 --> 3 10 400 1000 50000 900000 2000000 60000000 = 310400100050000900000200000060000000 to begin with...

Thanks again for your answers :)

Fernando, like PeroK and Fresh have said, this can only work for finitely-many digits, otherwise, the sum will not converge and so will not be a natural number. The decimal expansion is "guaranteed" to be a Cauchy sequence, thus converging to a Real number, but not so the expansion in the opposite direction.

Likes cyclogon

1. What is cardinality?

Cardinality is a mathematical concept that refers to the number of elements in a set or group.

2. How is cardinality related to natural numbers?

Natural numbers are a type of cardinal number, specifically referring to the counting numbers starting from 1. The cardinality of a set of natural numbers is equal to the number of elements in the set.

3. What is the difference between finite and infinite cardinality?

Finite cardinality refers to a set with a specific, finite number of elements, while infinite cardinality refers to a set with an endless number of elements. For example, the set of all natural numbers has an infinite cardinality, while the set of all integers has a finite cardinality.

4. Can two sets have the same cardinality even if they have different elements?

Yes, two sets can have the same cardinality if there is a one-to-one correspondence between their elements. This means that each element in one set can be paired with a unique element in the other set, and vice versa.

5. How is the concept of cardinality used in real-world applications?

Cardinality is used in various fields such as computer science, statistics, and economics to represent and analyze data. For example, in database management, cardinality is used to determine the relationship between tables and to optimize database queries. In statistics, cardinality is used to measure the size of a sample or population. In economics, cardinality is used to analyze consumer preferences and market demand.