Cardinality Problem: Prove |A| < |N|

In summary, the cardinality of a finite nonempty set A is always less than the cardinality of the natural numbers, |A|<|N|. This can be proven by showing that there exists an injective function from A to N, but no bijective function, which means there is no surjective function. To prove this in detail, first construct an injective function f: A->N and then show that it is not bijective. This can be done by assuming that there exists a bijective function and using a proof by contradiction to show that this is not possible.
cxc001
Prove cardinality of every finite nonempty set A is less then cardinality of natural number N
|A|<|N|

set A is nonempty finite set
natural number N is denumerable (infinite countable set)

|A|<|N| if there exist a injective (one-to-one) function f: A->N, but NO bijective function, which means NO surjective (onto) function

How to prove it in detail?

Help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
Before trying to worry about how to prove it in detail, first worry about how to sketch a proof... or even just getting ideas to understand the situation better.

When you tell us where you're at on the problem, then we will be able to help you figure out how to get unstuck!

Okay, here is what I got so far.

There should be two steps that I need to prove to show |S|<|N|
step 1) to construct a injective function f:S->N
step 2) to prove the function f:S->N is NOT bijection (mainly NOT surjective function)

Step 1) I started with trying to contrust a injection f:S->N
Since S is finite nonempty set, then the elments of set S can be listed as S={s1, s2, s3,...,sn), and |S|=n
Since N is denumerable set by theorem (countable infinite set), then N={1, 2, 3,...,n,...}
Let f(s1)=1, f(s2)=2,...,f(sn)=n
In order to show the function is injecitive, I have to show two different elements have two different images which is if f(x)=f(y), then x=y (use proof by contrapositive method)
So Let f(x)=f(y), I need to show that x=y
[This is where I stucked, how should I go from there?]

For step 2) to prove the function f:S->N is NOT bijection (mainly NOT surjective function) seems quite complicated!
[I attemped to use the proof by contradiction first]
Assume by contradiction that there exists a bijective function f:S->N
[Then how I go from there? This is where I stucked again!]

Last edited:

1. What is the Cardinality Problem?

The Cardinality Problem is a mathematical concept that deals with the size or number of elements in a set. It is commonly used to compare the sizes of two sets, and determine if one set is smaller than the other.

2. What does |A| < |N| mean?

The notation |A| < |N| means that the cardinality of set A is less than the cardinality of set N. In other words, set A has fewer elements or is smaller in size compared to set N.

3. How can you prove that |A| < |N|?

To prove that |A| < |N|, we need to show that there is an injection (one-to-one function) from set A to set N. This means that every element in set A is mapped to a unique element in set N, and there are no elements in set A that are left unmapped.

4. What is the significance of proving |A| < |N|?

Proving that |A| < |N| is significant because it helps us understand the relationship between two sets and their sizes. It also allows us to determine which set is larger and how many elements they have in common. This can be useful in various fields of mathematics and computer science.

5. Are there other ways to compare the sizes of two sets?

Yes, there are other ways to compare the sizes of two sets. One way is to use the concept of bijection, which is a function that is both an injection and a surjection (onto function). Another way is to use the concept of equinumerosity, which means that two sets have the same cardinality or number of elements.