Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Career Advice for Mechanical Engineering

1. Apr 16, 2012 #1
    Hi Everyone,

I am at a road block in my life where I have no idea what to do next in terms of my career plans. I graduated with a Bachelors in Biochemistry, and recently, I realized there was nothing that spoke to me within this field which I could obtain as a career.

I looked into Mechanical engineering, because I have always been good at/ comfortable/ enjoyed calculations and math, but also because I believe there is freedom within this field to do a wide variety of work. I had an epiphany the other day because I realized that I do not think I am very good at/ enjoy analyzing and using physics, and I fear that the work I do as a professional ME will consists of a lot of concepts with physics.

I am thinking about going back to school for ME because I want to eventually get into product designing (have not decided for what industry, but interested in environmental or consumer/ industrial goods).

If there are any professional engineers out there who can tell me what their tasks are as engineers in the work force, and maybe correct me if I am wrong about all the physics involved? ( I realize that the curriculum to obtain an eng degree will require a lot of physics, but I also believe that the work we do in academia is more theoretical and not as applicable to the real world or industry)

Thanks a lot for all your posts. I really have been struggling with this for a while, and I thought ME was finally the right field for me, but now I am not so sure...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2012 #2
    Dude, you are probably already at least as smart as you need to be to get started.

Look for internships or jobs in a mechanical side of the biochem job. I don't know what that would be, but maybe something like designing the tubing, pump, and tanks for a algae-fuel startup company. I don't know.

Don't go back to school unless you are serious. You will dump a bunch of money and you won't necessarily be any closer to a job.

I think if I were you, I would get "certified" in Autodesk Inventor or Solidworks so that you have the design skills that are needed. (It's not that hard).
    Then you have a really good resume-- biochem plus Solidworks! Bam!. If I were an employer I would be stoked.

My 2 cents.

4. Apr 16, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the reply!

I actually have been trying to get at that angle for a while now. It seems that it is very difficult to obtain even volunteer work in this area, because this kind of work really requires background knowledge or experience. Maybe I am approaching it in a wrong way, but I find it really difficult to find opportunities for internships in this area, and I feel like all I can really get with my degree is a research bench job.

I have been working on obtaining certification for SolidWorks, but I don't want to be stuck doing CAD all day on a computer either. Right now, I am trying to assess if going back to school would help me, or if I should just stick to working, even if it is a research position with a biotech company. I would be ok with that now, but honestly, I don't see a future after a couple of years and I don't know what I could do at that point to move forward.

I was just thinking for the long-term future. I don't believe that my BS in Biochem will sustain me in any other position than research really, and I actually really dislike that environment and kind of work. (I had experience working in a lab while I was pursuing my degree).

5. Apr 16, 2012 #4
    What is your approx. geographic location?

6. Apr 16, 2012 #5
    northern california. Silicon valley/ sf bay area

7. Apr 16, 2012 #6
    Well, you're in just about the best place in the world for having a weird biochem/engineering type thing going on. Granted, you probably have a hell of a lot of competition out there.

I would just really recommend fully contemplating not going to school. Think about it. You're probably already 24ish. The next 4-5 years are going to be your most productive. Do you want to be holed up in some university, competing against fresh-out-of-hi-school kids?

I would say, look, you have got a great skills, a good head on you... so see what you can do. Go for it. What would Steve Jobs do?

I think of it this way:

What's going to pay off more in "the long-term future":
    5 years working hard building that unique career path?
    or
    5 years in a university, a late start, and not all that much more knowledge (maybe less)?

8. Apr 16, 2012 #7
    I was actually contemplating about going back for a Master's ( there are some programs I have looked into which are tangible for a person in my situation), because I think that if I wait a couple years, my academic aptitude will be lost.

But you make a good point to get work experience. It has been my initial plan and I have been trying to do it for months, but the lack of results has made me think twice. I have gone to new creative measures of applying/ getting employer's attention as well. I just don't know what else to do, because I feel like if I can't get work, I should at least make use of my time getting a higher degree.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook