1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Career decision: 100% one field, or 50-50 two fields?

1. Jan 21, 2016 #1
    I am currently doing a PhD in theoretical physics (let's for simplicity say gravity and black holes). However, I have also in my free time been working a bit in a more applied field (let's say cold atom physics), and have been reasonably successful (in the sense that I have some publications, and a couple of ideas of projects that I could do if I had more time, and I have good connections with collaborators in this field).

I am now facing (or I will be facing) and important decision: After my PhD, if I want to continue in academia, should I continue and focus all my attention on theoretical physics, or should I try to get serious with my other research line and do 50-50? I can see advantages and disadvantages with both:

In theoretical physics, the funding is very limited, and thus it is very hard to land jobs (especially faculty positions). Thus also doing research in a more applied field might give more job opportunities since there should be more money. However, I understand that I risk crippling myself in both fields, so that I will not be able to apply for job openings that are for instance purely directed at theoretical physics (for instance job openings with professors that have a personal grant for a specific subject). But for faculty positions, maybe it would be an advantage to have a more broad research interest?

What are your opinions on this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2016 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

How do you think you will get a 50-50 postdoc?

4. Jan 21, 2016 #3
    Yea...so that is sort of part of the problem. I guess it is not very likely that there are these positions after all, but that is also part of my question if it is possible at all.

Edit: But I do know that there are people that have for example successfully conducted research in both string theory and condensed matter physics (at post doc level), so it is not impossible (and I am not talking about AdS/CMT here)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook