Career help: Companies hiring MS in CMP?

• Thread starter Shiricon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Career
In summary, the speaker is a recent graduate with an MS in condensed matter physics, with a focus on magnetic measurements of MgB2 and iron nanocomposites. They are seeking job opportunities in R&D or test and evaluation within the scientific community, preferably within the US. They have been searching for opportunities in the semiconductor industry, but are also open to smaller companies with a focus on applied physics. They appreciate any help or suggestions in their job search.
Shiricon
Hello,

I recently graduated with an MS in CMP, and my research was in the production of and magnetic measurements of MgB2 and iron nanocomposites. I have been trying to find companies that would be interested in hiring a CMP masters graduate. Does anyone know any companies or national labs that are hiring in R&D or test and evaluation areas?

I have a broad range of interests and I am not excluding positions outside of CMP, but I would like to remain within the scientific community. I am free to move anywhere within the US or internationally, however I would prefer to remain stateside.

Any help that anyone can offer is very much appreciated.

Thank you all so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume by CMP you mean condensed matter physics. Have a look at companies in the semiconductor industry. If you've studied magnetic nanoparticles there are probably hard drive manufacturers which would be very interested in your experience.

Thank you for your response daveyrocket. Sorry, yes I meant condensed matter physics. I have been searching many of the major semiconductor companies job sites, but haven't had any luck with them to date.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any smaller companies looking for CMP expertise where there won't be as many applicants and a better chance of getting some more "real-world" experience with applied physics.

1. What is an MS in CMP and what types of companies are looking for candidates with this degree?

An MS in CMP stands for Master of Science in Computational and Mathematical Physics. It is a graduate degree that combines the fields of physics, mathematics, and computer science. Companies across various industries such as technology, healthcare, finance, and government agencies are actively seeking candidates with this degree for roles in data analysis, modeling, and research.

2. What skills and knowledge are typically acquired in an MS in CMP program?

Students pursuing an MS in CMP gain a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and computer programming. They also develop skills in data analysis, computational modeling, and problem-solving. Additionally, they learn how to use various software and programming languages such as MATLAB, Python, and R for data analysis and simulation.

3. What types of job roles can I expect to qualify for with an MS in CMP?

Graduates with an MS in CMP have a diverse range of job opportunities available to them. Some of the common job roles include data analyst, computational scientist, research analyst, software engineer, and data scientist. They can also work in various industries such as healthcare, technology, finance, and government agencies.

4. How can I stand out as a candidate with an MS in CMP in the job market?

To stand out as a candidate with an MS in CMP, you can focus on developing strong technical skills in data analysis, programming, and computational modeling. You can also gain practical experience through internships, research projects, and participation in coding competitions. Additionally, highlighting your ability to apply your skills to real-world problems and your passion for the field can make you stand out to potential employers.

5. Are there any specific companies or industries that are actively hiring candidates with an MS in CMP?

Yes, there are many companies and industries actively seeking candidates with an MS in CMP. Some examples include technology companies such as Google, Microsoft, and IBM, healthcare companies like Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson, financial institutions like Goldman Sachs and JPMorgan Chase, and government agencies such as NASA and the Department of Defense. However, the demand for professionals with this degree is growing in many other industries as well.