1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Career Opportunities After Graduation for Older Students

1. May 26, 2013 #1
    Hi, I'm older than most college students, I am 23. In my youth (I'm still young but I think you get it haha) I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted to do in life so it took me a while to figure it out. I have always loved science since I was a child and I decided to go with my childhood dream of being a scientist so thats where I am at now.

What I am worried about is I've done the math and I project myself receiving my Ph.D at around age 32 or 33 which is slightly later than a lot of people. In addition, reading some of the things on this site it appears that getting an academic job is quite difficult and my dream of doing theoretical physics research at a university may require a plan b. So I'm just curious does being older hurt your chances at getting a faculty job?

Also what are the career opportunities like for things like applied physics? Would this be a viable plan b strategy in case things don't work out the way I'd like them to? Furthermore, is it possible to get a job with a B.S. in applied physics? How hard is it to go from an applied physics B.S. to say a Ph.D. program in astrophysics or particle physics? Thanks for the feedback :)

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted