1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Career options for double engineering interest?

1. Dec 22, 2012 #1
    Well I'm interested in both mechanical engineering and engineering physics. Are there any further academic fields or career options that combine such interests/fields?
    thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2012 #2
    I am not sure but Engineering Physics suits with Material Sciences better. Last year I want to take Engineering Physics with Mech. Engg. but Professor told me that with Mechanical Engineering take either Automobile/Automotive Engg. or just Physics.

4. Dec 22, 2012 #3
    Nuclear engineering maybe?

5. Dec 23, 2012 #4
    any ideas?

6. Jan 2, 2013 #5
    I don't know about your school, but the engineering physics at my prospective schools ( SFU and UBC) have options.
    SFU is more microelectronics, semiconductor, and some programming
    UBC has an electrical option, mechanical, and mechatronics option.

it really depends on how your school's curriculum is layed out. Different schools have different strengths.

Also, after talking to a department chair about double majoring in engineering(i also wanted to do that), he advised me *not* to.

He told me it would be much wiser to major in engineering physics then a masters in mechatronics(that was my two choices) because he said i may find that after my first degree, undergraduate courses is not the most efficient way of learning because with a solid background in engineering physics, i can pick up mechatronics at the graduate level with the help of suitable textbooks and a good faculty supervisor.

Which makes sense since university after all, teaches you to be efficient in learning by yourself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook