Career options for double engineering interest?

In summary, the conversation explores the combination of interests in mechanical engineering and engineering physics and the possibility of further academic fields or career options that combine the two. The suggestion of nuclear engineering is mentioned and the differences in curriculum at different schools are discussed. The idea of double majoring in engineering and pursuing a masters in mechatronics is also brought up, with the recommendation to major in engineering physics first and then specialize in mechatronics at the graduate level. It is suggested that university education teaches individuals to be efficient in self-learning.
Ishida52134
Well I'm interested in both mechanical engineering and engineering physics. Are there any further academic fields or career options that combine such interests/fields?
thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure but Engineering Physics suits with Material Sciences better. Last year I want to take Engineering Physics with Mech. Engg. but Professor told me that with Mechanical Engineering take either Automobile/Automotive Engg. or just Physics.

Ishida52134 said:
Well I'm interested in both mechanical engineering and engineering physics. Are there any further academic fields or career options that combine such interests/fields?
thanks.

Nuclear engineering maybe?

any ideas?

I don't know about your school, but the engineering physics at my prospective schools ( SFU and UBC) have options.
SFU is more microelectronics, semiconductor, and some programming
UBC has an electrical option, mechanical, and mechatronics option.

it really depends on how your school's curriculum is layed out. Different schools have different strengths.

Also, after talking to a department chair about double majoring in engineering(i also wanted to do that), he advised me *not* to.

He told me it would be much wiser to major in engineering physics then a masters in mechatronics(that was my two choices) because he said i may find that after my first degree, undergraduate courses is not the most efficient way of learning because with a solid background in engineering physics, i can pick up mechatronics at the graduate level with the help of suitable textbooks and a good faculty supervisor.

Which makes sense since university after all, teaches you to be efficient in learning by yourself.

1. What career options are available for someone with a double engineering interest?

There are many career options available for individuals with a double engineering interest. Some common options include working as a research scientist, engineering consultant, systems analyst, project manager, or product development engineer.

2. How can I determine which engineering field is best for me?

The best way to determine which engineering field is best for you is to explore your interests and strengths. You can also speak with professionals in different engineering fields, participate in internships or job shadowing opportunities, and do research on the job responsibilities and requirements for each field.

3. Do I need to have a specific educational background to pursue a career in engineering?

While having a degree in engineering is typically required for most engineering careers, it is not always necessary. Some individuals with a strong background in mathematics, physics, or computer science may also be able to pursue careers in engineering with additional training or experience.

4. Is it possible to combine two different engineering fields in one career?

Yes, it is possible to combine two different engineering fields in one career. This is often referred to as interdisciplinary engineering and can open up unique career opportunities in areas such as biotechnology, environmental engineering, and renewable energy.

5. Are there any specific skills or qualities that are important for a successful career in engineering?

Some important skills and qualities for a successful career in engineering include problem-solving abilities, critical thinking skills, attention to detail, strong communication skills, and a passion for learning and innovation. It is also important to be comfortable working with technology and collaborating with a team.