1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biology Career options for Radiation Biology

1. Sep 26, 2009 #1
    Hi guys, can someone please tell me the career options for a radiation biology graduate degree please? I tried to search on google but all the results were about research & teaching. The AAPM (American Association of Physicists in Medicine) did say graduates with radiation biology can become a medical physicist, anybody know something about that?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2009 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Hi Dosimetry,

Generally, the most direct route into medical physics is to go through a medical physics graduate program and that requires a very strong physics background (ie. a physics or engineering undergraduate degree).

If you have such a background coupled with a PhD in radiation biology, you might try applying for a medical physics residency, but these are very competative these days. Physics or engineering PhDs from other fields will sometimes get in, but even that is getting more rare. How competative you are will depend on your background. If you've come through the biology side of things and picked up the necessary physics on the way I don't think that will be sufficiently competative for a residency, but you may be able to get into a graduate program.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook