Career possibilities: Astrophysicist / Astronomer?

In summary, If you have good grades in physics, you should be able to study physics at most universities in Germany. After you finish your degree, there are a variety of jobs that are available in the scientific field.
TheGliese
Hello,
I am in the 11th grade in my high school, which is in Lithuania. This year I had to choose specific levels for my subjects and I chose physics, mathematics, informatics and English as A level subjects (more lessons, more material, better teachers) and left lithuanian, economics, history at level B.
Half a year I had difficulties with maths and English. Both averages were at approximately 60%, while physics and informatics were 90%+. My intention was to study computer technology and programming in either the UK or Netherlands, but after months of thinking I decided to change my mind. I chose astrophysics and/or astronomy as the profession I'd like to study.
My question would be - how real are the chances to enter a university which would provide high quality education for these subjects? And would it be possible for an lithuanian (we're part of the EU) to study in the United States?
Another question would be - what jobs would be available after such studies? I'd like to work on something where cosmic research would be involved, i.e. Terrestrial Planet research or something similar.
I'm looking forward for your answers and suggestions.
Yours faithfully,
D. Bartauskas

Physics news on Phys.org
TheGliese said:
My question would be - how real are the chances to enter a university which would provide high quality education for these subjects?
I don't know about the Netherlands and the UK - in Germany, most universities accept all or most applications for physics, so if your grades in physics are good you should have a free choice. Some lectures could be held in german only, but exams should have both languages (check this in advance, of course).
Another question would be - what jobs would be available after such studies? I'd like to work on something where cosmic research would be involved, i.e. Terrestrial Planet research or something similar.
Those jobs are rare, and you need some luck to get a permanent job in academic research. But there are other jobs, not directly related to astrophysics, if you have a degree in physics (or similar).

mfb said:
I don't know about the Netherlands and the UK - in Germany, most universities accept all or most applications for physics, so if your grades in physics are good you should have a free choice. Some lectures could be held in german only, but exams should have both languages (check this in advance, of course).

Thank you for the answer.
The idea of studying in Germany is good. I have lived there for 3 years and learned the language quite well. I will definitely look into that.

1. What kind of education is required to become an astrophysicist/astronomer?

To become an astrophysicist or astronomer, you typically need to have a minimum of a bachelor's degree in physics, astronomy, or a related field. However, many positions in these fields require a master's degree or a PhD.

2. What are the job duties of an astrophysicist/astronomer?

As an astrophysicist or astronomer, your main job duties will involve conducting research, analyzing data, and developing theories to better understand the universe and its components. This may involve using advanced technology and equipment, writing research papers, and collaborating with other scientists.

3. What career opportunities are available for astrophysicists/astronomers?

There are a variety of career opportunities for astrophysicists and astronomers, including working in academia, government agencies, observatories, and private companies. Some may also pursue careers in science communication or science policy.

4. What skills are important for an astrophysicist/astronomer?

Strong mathematical and analytical skills are essential for astrophysicists and astronomers, as well as critical thinking, problem-solving, and computer programming skills. Excellent communication and teamwork abilities are also important for collaborating with other scientists and presenting research findings.

5. What is the job outlook for astrophysicists/astronomers?

The job outlook for astrophysicists and astronomers is positive, with a projected job growth of 9% from 2019 to 2029, which is faster than the average for all occupations. However, competition for jobs in these fields is high, so gaining relevant experience and advanced education can increase job prospects.