Careers in Finance: Physics vs Business Majors

  • Thread starter Thread starter XxsithlordxX
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Careers Finance
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
XxsithlordxX
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
I've heard that firms tend to hire physics majors because business majors can't do the necessary math. Whats the difference? Sorry I'm a noob.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Most often when people discuss physics and finance they're referring to quantitative analysts.

There are lots of areas of finance though, and a few other jobs may qualify - actuary, for instance.
 
XxsithlordxX said:
I've heard that firms tend to hire physics majors because business majors can't do the necessary math. Whats the difference? Sorry I'm a noob.

For some jobs that's true. I work near a trading floor, and the section of the firm that I work has about half Ph.D.'s (physics, math, engineering) and the other half experienced computer programmers with masters degrees.